Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early OG107 shirt

Article about: I recently got this OG107 sateen shirt, I believe it's from 50's because of the brown buttons and stamped size instead of label. US ARMY tape has been removed and no sign of it ever having n

?

Default Early OG107 shirt

I recently got this OG107 sateen shirt, I believe it's from 50's because of the brown buttons and stamped size instead of label. US ARMY tape has been removed and no sign of it ever having name tape.

The chevrons makes me think though, they seem to have navy blue background to me. Weren't these rank chenvrons the ones used during Korean War before the green background replaced them somewhere during mid-50's?

Any thoughts welcome
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early OG107 shirt   Early OG107 shirt  

Early OG107 shirt   Early OG107 shirt  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early OG107 shirt
    P
    Many

I won't common on the chevrons as they could have been added anytime, but the shirt itself appears to be the 2nd pattern cotton sateen shirt spec dated 12/4/1963 with the diagonal cut pocket corners (1952 pattern had "square" corners). But bear in mind it could be a private purchase shirt made by a tailor.

A picture of General Westmoreland wearing this pattern shirt in Vietnam.

Early OG107 shirt

I’d say mid to late 50s. When regulations change in the army it usually takes some time for all of the operating forces to fall in line with it as far as uniforms and equipment goes. The army is notorious for a mix of “old” and “new” regulation uniform items!

?

But isn't the shirt that Westmoreland wear the 1st pattern utility shirt like the one I have here? The pocket flaps are straight cut. Although he definetly has the first button higher than the first pattern hmm..?

From Vietnam Gear website:
    "The Army's first pattern utility shirt was standardized in 1958 and replaced the near identical utility jacket. It was made from olive green (OG-107) 8.5oz cotton sateen and boasted two patch pockets with straight cut flap. The shirt also had an unusually low first button and no button cuffs".

And about the 2nd pattern 1963: "Clip cornered pocket flaps replaced the original straight flaps and the button spacing was improved to reduce undershirt visibility."

?

Quote by 08SMLE48 View Post
    I’d say mid to late 50s. When regulations change in the army it usually takes some time for all of the operating forces to fall in line with it as far as uniforms and equipment goes. The army is notorious for a mix of “old” and “new” regulation uniform items!

Yeah, that would make sense. Do you think these chevrons look like the ones used between WWII and Vietnam? 3 inch wide. To me they look like the lowest row on this website: US Army Military Insignia,US Army Patches,shoulder sleeve insignia, unit crests, distinctive insignia, flashes, army, division, brigade, airborne, us army patches, military insignia

Look who is to the left of Westmoreland Norman Schwarzkopf. BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

This be the type before the sateen . I've always attributed the brown buttons to WW2 button mfg, but I probably wrong?

And a WW2/Korea HBT 4th patt I think. Brown button job!

Rene, I thought all the army hbt uniforms from WWII had the flat black metal buttons with 13 stars.

Quote by 08SMLE48 View Post
    Rene, I thought all the army hbt uniforms from WWII had the flat black metal buttons with 13 stars.
    No not all Mate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast