Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

French Airborne canteen cover model 52 (Housse de gourde TAP modèle 52)

Article about: Hello everyone. Here is an example of a French Airborne Troops (Troupes AéroPortées – TAP) canteen cover. Although it is hard to see, it looks like the cover was produced by S.L.H - Lill

Default French Airborne canteen cover model 52 (Housse de gourde TAP modèle 52)

Hello everyone.

Here is an example of a French Airborne Troops (Troupes AéroPortées – TAP) canteen cover.

Although it is hard to see, it looks like the cover was produced by S.L.H - Lille, but it is unfortunately not dated. The design is similar to the model 51 that I previously posted (can be seen in the link below), but differs when the rear of the covers are examined. The most notable difference between the two designs is that the rear of the TAP canteen cover uses the same hardware set up as the U.S. M1941 Mounted (Airborne) Canteen Cover, opposed to the two webbing loops seen on the earlier French cover. The difference between the two French models can be seen in the last two photos.

The webbing to the rear of the cover is marked in biro with the word 'TCHAD', which is the French spelling of Chad. From research I have found out that Chad was one of sixteen African nations in which France intervened from 1960 to 1991 to ensure the survival of client regimes or to install alternatives that protected French political, economic, and strategic interests.

Previously posted Mle 51 canteen cover (pictured below left for comparison) -
    French Army canteen cover model 51 (Housse de gourde modèle 51)

Any extra information or corrections are most welcome.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Airborne canteen cover model 52 (Housse de gourde TAP modèle 52)   French Airborne canteen cover model 52 (Housse de gourde TAP modèle 52)  

French Airborne canteen cover model 52 (Housse de gourde TAP modèle 52)   French Airborne canteen cover model 52 (Housse de gourde TAP modèle 52)  

French Airborne canteen cover model 52 (Housse de gourde TAP modèle 52)   French Airborne canteen cover model 52 (Housse de gourde TAP modèle 52)  

French Airborne canteen cover model 52 (Housse de gourde TAP modèle 52)  
    Last edited by Willmore; 10-10-2023 at 12:45 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement French Airborne canteen cover model 52 (Housse de gourde TAP modèle 52)
    P
    Many

Interesting, I never saw this variant.

I would like to see some more proof before I would call this a specifically TAP cover though; it might be just a later variant that addresses the issue of the loops being too small to go over belt buckles?

Hello gentlemen,

As a general rule, equipment with US-type metal hooks was reserved for Taps. The other branches of the French army were equipped with leather kit (belt, shoulder straps, cartridge belts, etc.) according to the old principle dear to the French army: "We don't throw away anything that can still be used".

Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Interesting, I never saw this variant.

I would like to see some more proof before I would call this a specifically TAP cover though; it might be just a later variant that addresses the issue of the loops being too small to go over belt buckles?
    Hi earlymb.

Thank you for the comment. I am relatively new to this field of collecting, but I base my thoughts on research from French collecting forums. You do bring up a good point and maybe these were used by other troops too and I agree about the belt loops being very small on the mle 51.

Kind regards,

Will.

Quote by Carfin LEWYS View Post
    Hello gentlemen,

As a general rule, equipment with US-type metal hooks was reserved for Taps. The other branches of the French army were equipped with leather kit (belt, shoulder straps, cartridge belts, etc.) according to the old principle dear to the French army: "We don't throw away anything that can still be used".

Carfin.
    Hello Carfin.

Thank you for the information and I really like the old saying of the French army.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hello gentlemen,

The canteen cover with the two loops, is for the troops equipped with the leather belt. The canreen cover withe the US style hooks & the lizard jacket goes together. Now you must find a lizard cap (casquette bigeard) & all the equipment for the TAPs.
    If you need some help, you can PM me.
    Carfin.

Just to be clear, is this a late model cover for the M51 canteen (with the cork) or a first type cover for the M52 canteen (with the large screw cap)?

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Just to be clear, is this a late model cover for the M51 canteen (with the cork) or a first type cover for the M52 canteen (with the large screw cap)?
    I believe this cover is for the m52 screw cap canteen.

Quote by Carfin LEWYS View Post
    Hello gentlemen,

The canteen cover with the two loops, is for the troops equipped with the leather belt. The canreen cover withe the US style hooks & the lizard jacket goes together. Now you must find a lizard cap (casquette bigeard) & all the equipment for the TAPs.
    If you need some help, you can PM me.
    Carfin.
    Thank you again Carfin. I really appreciate your offer for help and I will be in touch.

Kind regards,

Will.

Ok, that makes sense. M52 covers all have the M1910 hooks. The early haves have 2 male snaps, the later ones 4.

The cover with the loops you show in post # 1 is for the M51 canteen. It is the rare early type, with LTD snaps; the standard model has press snaps, like the M52 cover.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast