Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket

Article about: Hello everyone. I have recently added this French TAP (Troupes AéroPortées) 47/56 pattern jacket to my modest collection of post ww2 French uniforms and equipment. This pattern saw extensi

Default French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket

Hello everyone.

I have recently added this French TAP (Troupes AéroPortées) 47/56 pattern jacket to my modest collection of post ww2 French uniforms and equipment. This pattern saw extensive service with French Airborne and Commando units in Algeria and elsewhere. Interestingly and not uncommonly, these jackets were also used by various other countries, in particular with the forces of Israel.

The jacket itself appears to have been modified/resized by shortening the length, consequently making the lower pockets shorter/smaller. There is also a 'ghost' of two pleats on the lower rear of the jacket which would have made the cut tighter to the body (similar modifications can be seen in the second link in post #2). Apart from this and a few, what look like period field repairs, the jacket is in pretty good condition with all the zips (marked ELLESS) and press studs (marked on the rear DURABLE DOT) present and working perfectly. Along with this the elasticated/button cuffs are in great condition too.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket   French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket  

French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket   French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket  

French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket   French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket
    P
    Many

Although the stamp is faded I can tell the jacket was produced by J.PAUWELS & Co - MERVILLE and under this the NH stamp can be seen. The NH abbreviation stands for non hydrofugé (not water-repellent). Along with the normal French stamps we can see three other stamps which indicate that this particular jacket saw service with the Israeli forces. From research I believe the 'Y' shaped stamp is a typical IDF acceptance stamp, but I am not sure what the other two mean (maybe unit markings?).

Examples of this jacket -
    French lizard camo uniforms

Various patterns -
    lizard pattern

Any help or corrections are most welcome and please feel free to post any examples from your collections.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket   French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket  

?

Nice, the stamp in the square is a Hebrew letter 'K' for 'small' which probably explains the modification. The final stamp I'm not familiar with, its not been done at the same time as IDF and size stamp, it could be the supply base it's issued from.

Steve.

Hi Steve.

Great information, I appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Will.

Great jacket! I have one from the same maker, Pauwels, unmodified but although it fits me nicely the (original) sleeves are way too short so I just roll them up

It's hiding among other Lizard-pattern items here:

Hi earlymb.

Thank you, I have been looking for one for a while and finally took the plunge.

You have a great collection of lizard camo, thank you for showing it here.

I recognise your jacket and have seen your thread with the torso stand.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hello gentlemen,

Originally it was a model 47/56 jumping jacket worn by the French TAPs.
    This jacket has been resized by its owner to be "closer to the body" very common practice among TAP both for combat outfits and for those used for parades. The sleeves have been fitted with elasticated cuffs and the back pleats have been re-cinched. The bottom of the jacket was shortened and in general an elastic band was added in place of the lace.
    When this type of jacket was abandoned by the French army after the Algerian war, the remaining stocks were sold to other countries and in particular to the State of Israel which had greatly appreciated the practicality during the Suez Canal affair.

Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

Hello Carfin.

Thank you for the information!

I have noticed there are two sets of holes (circled in red). Would you say these holes were made to attach a set of jump wings on the pocket flap (left side of picture) and a medal bar above the pocket? (right side of picture).

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket  

Hello gentlemen,

Exact. On the right pocket the "Brevet parachutiste" & on the left side the awards (Legion d'honneur (red), croix de guerre, service outre mer etc.)

Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

Hello Carfin.

Thank you again for the information, I appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Will.