Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Question Poncho UK A6 code

Article about: G'day all, A crappy mate traded this to me for a mothed out Aust 42 greatcoat! Just asking if any one can roughly date it? guess it goes into the patt 58 roll?

The best use for the lightweight poncho these days is for raking your leaves into before taking them to the dump !

I do still pick them up for use at Forest School for use with the kids though as they are a good cheap shelter although i would rather use the newer PU coated Basha's as they are more waterproof but are generally more expensive.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question Poncho UK A6 code
    P
    Many

Quote by Watchdog View Post

Point to note re water bottle pouches; there were two types, one with a traditional strap/buckle and one with a"twist lock". I think the "Twist lock" was earlier (or possibly concurrent) but the strap/buckle although generally considered less "Gucci" than the "Twist lock" was far more resilient and far more common.

Regards

Mark
    I always understood the strap/buckle version was the later pattern & was introduced because shrinkage of the webbing, when wet, could mean the twist lock version becoming impossible to fasten. I've had to wrestle with one a few times but it always proved possible in the end... so perhaps that's why they were never entirely replaced; plus ally (gucci) saves lives!

Quote by brickie501 View Post
    I always understood the strap/buckle version was the later pattern & was introduced because shrinkage of the webbing, when wet, could mean the twist lock version becoming impossible to fasten. I've had to wrestle with one a few times but it always proved possible in the end... so perhaps that's why they were never entirely replaced; plus ally (gucci) saves lives!
    You may be correct and the strap/buckle version would in theory be cheaper and more robust as well as the wet webbing point. As I say it was always my impression that the twist button was earlier. Mainly because whilst the types were concurrent in use;
    a. The strap type was far more common.
    b. The twist button type when seen was always (no exception) much more worn and apparently aged whilst it was common to see brand new strap type pouches.

On the subject of "ally / gucci / cool" kit THE thing to do with '58 patt waterbottle pouches was to acquire four, stitch them together and use them in lieu of the awful kidney pouches (as Vegetius suggested above). Then if your scrounging abilities were up to it, replace the plastic waterbottle and mug with a realy cool '44 pat aluminium bottle, mug and pouch. The metal bottle and mug were especially prized because you could use them to heat food and drink in. Just had to put the old "black nasty" (masking tape) on the mug rim so as to avoid blistered lips. Add a cut down wooden "racing spoon" and Bob's yer mothers brother

Regards

Mark

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-30-2021 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4