Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tam O Shanter - Argyll & Sutherland?

Article about: Hello dear fellow collectors of history. This found its way to me, but I’m not sure of the unit and would like to add the missing badge to it. No markings on the inside. Please can anyone

Default Tam O Shanter - Argyll & Sutherland?

Hello dear fellow collectors of history. This found its way to me, but I’m not sure of the unit and would like to add the missing badge to it. No markings on the inside. Please can anyone advise me on the identity of this Tam O Shanter?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tam O Shanter - Argyll & Sutherland?
    P
    Many

?

Gave my dad a message , he replied with

“Looks like 4 punch holes at the top so SCOTS TOs”

And

“If it only had 2 in the middle it would be ASH”

Hope that helps

Royal Regiment of Scotland - Wikipedia

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Gave my dad a message , he replied with

“Looks like 4 punch holes at the top so SCOTS TOs”

And

“If it only had 2 in the middle it would be ASH”

Hope that helps

Royal Regiment of Scotland - Wikipedia
    I would agree especially as the tartan patch (Government No 42 which was also used by The Black Watch aka "The Forty twas" but not on the Tam O' Shanter / TOS) appears to have a zig-zag stitch attaching it which indicates a later item from late '80s up to the recent merrowed edge patch type which is attached by a single line of stitching just inside the merrowed edge.

So, this being an actual piece of tartan cloth with zig-zag stitching it could in theory be either late A&SH or early RRS. This is where the holes come in. As John indicated two holes east/west around the centre line means A&SH whilst seven (five lugs on the Saltire and two on the crown) indicates RRS. I am willing to bet that the lining is a lightweight black polycotton material?

Hope this helps

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Definitely Modern Tam. Mark, Is spot on!

John

Thank you for your comments John & Mark. There is no lining on the inside, no sign it was ever lined. The original owner of this Tam sadly passed away 10 years ago and would have worn it in the 1980s, but that is all I know.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Thank you for your comments John & Mark. There is no lining on the inside, no sign it was ever lined. The original owner of this Tam sadly passed away 10 years ago and would have worn it in the 1980s, but that is all I know.
    You are welcome mate

Just a couple of points to note;

I do think the Zig-zag stitching is a bit late for the '80s but possibly the last couple of years of the decade.

The Royal Regiment of Scotland was formed in 2006 so look for extra holes that would indicate the presence of the earlier A&SH badge being replaced by the RRS item.

There are various reasons for there being no lining but it is usually because the soldier has very carefully removed (unlike the way it is often removed from berets by hacking/tearing) it to make it easier to shape. Prior to RRS each regiment tended to have it's own style of shaping and wear for the TOS.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

On a similar note, I think my dad also had to swap cap badges and sewn on a new tartan patch during one of the amalgamations ( probably Gordon’s to the highlanders)

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    On a similar note, I think my dad also had to swap cap badges and sewn on a new tartan patch during one of the amalgamations ( probably Gordon’s to the highlanders)
    Quite right John,

From formation in 1994 until incorporation into RRS as 4SCOTS in 2006 they would have changed from the Gordon tartan patch to the Cameron of Erracht previously worn by the Queens Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Cameron).

Because of the etiquette of amalgamation the cap badge of the new regiment was that of the Queens Own Highlanders but in the "3D" style of the officers pattern in bright white metal for ORs rather than in sterling silver (the badge I show here is actually a Stabrite Queens Own Highlanders version just for illustration. If anyone wants to see the 3D badge just ask but the design is the same).

So, for comparison;

Tam O Shanter - Argyll & Sutherland?Tam O Shanter - Argyll & Sutherland?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-07-2023 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo

?

I do have a few of my dads cap badges and tos in a box in my room but I don’t want to make him feel old by posting them on a antiques forum essentially

Pulled the Tam out again and this is the inside. Thank you Jb4046, you had got it. Great skills, there are definitely 4 holes along the top of the inside for the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Thank you all for your interest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast