Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vietnam 9th Infantry Division Jacket

Article about: Hey guys, with the whole corona-virus thing going on, I have had some spare time so I thought I would show my Vietnam Era Tropical AG-344 Tunic. I really like this jacket because of the 9th

Default Vietnam 9th Infantry Division Jacket

Hey guys, with the whole corona-virus thing going on, I have had some spare time so I thought I would show my Vietnam Era Tropical AG-344 Tunic. I really like this jacket because of the 9th Infantry Division, and I think I got a steal on it at a Salvation Army for 5$ a couple of years ago. All thoughts and opinions welcome.

Stay Healthy,

Calloway

Vietnam 9th Infantry Division JacketVietnam 9th Infantry Division JacketVietnam 9th Infantry Division JacketVietnam 9th Infantry Division JacketVietnam 9th Infantry Division Jacket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vietnam 9th Infantry Division Jacket
    P
    Many

Nice one Calloway! One I don't have in the junk pile here. but this one is 82 dated

Polyester & wool tropical. A sweaty man wore that.

?

That was a Great pick up for $5.
    1982 we had our summer Poly and the Winter wool uniforms.
    They don't do that anymore in the Corps.

I still have all mine stuffed in my duffel bag in the garage. I even have my cammies, Needless to say I think they shrunk!!

Looks good Calloway!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That was a Great pick up for $5.
    1982 we had our summer Poly and the Winter wool uniforms.
    They don't do that anymore in the Corps.

I still have all mine stuffed in my duffel bag in the garage. I even have my cammies, Needless to say I think they shrunk!!

Looks good Calloway!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I've got some USMC camos from about that time. I'll have to see if I can find them.
    They belonged to my step sister.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Greg,
    So did your sister serve during Viet Nam?

Semper Fi
    Phil

No, I think she went in in 76. She retired after 20 years as a Gunny.
    Her only long term overseas deployment was to the Philippines.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Calloway,

Nice uniform but based on the manufacturers label this is a post Vietnam era coat. After Vietnam, the 9th Infantry Division was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington until it was deactivated in 1992. It served as the Army test bed for fast attack concepts in the 80's. In 1989 the Division tested motorized capabilities for a Fast attack concept. They outfitted 2 Brigades of Infantry with various all terrain vehicles and motorcycles with various weapons platforms and other capabilities. The Army was fielding an intermediary concept between light infantry units with no vehicles and Armor units with the heavier tracks and tanks. The fast attack vehicles were known as DPVs (Desert Patrol Vehicles) and these vehicles although not adopted by the Army were used by Navy SEALs in the first Gulf War and in other areas throughout the world.

If you are familiar with the movie "DELTA FORCE" starring Chuck Norris and Lee Marvin, the black dune buggy vehicles portrayed in the movie are very similar to the DPVs that were fielded by the 9th Infantry Division. The Testing was conducted at Yakima Training Area, in Washington State as well as the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California.

In 1991 I received orders to report to Fort Ord, California to assist in relocating the 7th Infantry Division (Light) to Ft. Lewis Washington. It was during that time I had the chance to see these DPVs at Ft Lewis. As a light infantryman stationed at Fort Campbell in the earlier 80's our Scout Platoons had motorcycles that were used to recon ahead of the main body and Jeeps, but nothing like the DPVs. (The motorcycles we had at Ft Campbell DID NOT HAVE mini machine guns like the one Chuck Norris used in the movie... (AS far as I know that was just Hollywood.. but later on the SEALS may have made some adaptions, I'm not sure though as the motorcycles I saw did not have machine guns.... It would have been interesting to have the capability to sling load the DPVs under Chinooks and Blackhawks with the 101st but we already had the mission of Air Assaults and did not need to take on extra vehicles or equipment..

Smitty

Here is an example of the 9th ID DPV...Mounted with the MK 19 Grenade Launcher and M60D Machine-gun. The Spade grips on the M60 were most commonly used in helicopters for door gunners but was a practical fit for a gunner in the DPVs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam 9th Infantry Division Jacket  

The sequence number on the tag is dated DLA .....82 .......1982

Phill

Thanks so much for all the information guys.

Calloway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast