Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R.A.D. - No Swastika (experimental by Assmann)

Article about: This RAD buckle may be of interest to the forum. It is a die stamped aluminium buckle manufactured by Assmann, complete with a very distinctive and well documented catch arrangement. A casua

Default R.A.D. - No Swastika (experimental by Assmann)

This RAD buckle may be of interest to the forum.

It is a die stamped aluminium buckle manufactured by Assmann, complete with a very distinctive and well documented catch arrangement. A casual glance of course suggests a denazified buckle, however a close examination gives a clear indication that there has never been a swastika within the spade. As such, my thoughts that experimentally manufactured by Assmann without a swastika. Why on earth Assmann should do this is odd to say the least.

Wilhelm Saris and who is a Lifetime Member within the forum, wrote an article in The Military Adviser (Winter 2004/2005) under the title of "Reichsarbeitsdienst Belts and Brocade Belts". Page 9 is particularly interesting as it would appear that Wilhelm had previously seen such a non swastika and experimental RAD buckle by Assmann, albeit a leaders type.

Regards,

David

- - Updated - -

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement R.A.D. - No Swastika (experimental by Assmann)
    P
    Many

Default Re: R.A.D. - No Swastika (experimental by Assmann)

- - Updated - -

Very nice buckle David and unusual, on closer inspection of the spade you can see the original silver wash so probably never had a swastika on it. I wonder why?
    Ben

BTW hope all is well? I will drop you an email soon
    Ben

?

Hello David

Nice to see you posting again. You usually start some of the more interesting threads.

If I came across it at a show I would just think a denazified RAD. I can't think of any reason why it would have been produced without the swastika. You even had the one FAD buckle with the eagle and swastika.

Kirby

Great looking buckle David! Nice to see it....I love that experimental catch and have yet to find one for my collection. Very neat to see the 'no swas' spade.
    Thanks for showing!!

Rob

That is a different buckle I have seen those expermintal catches on a Luft buckle once. Mystery is why spade is plain? timothy

I said: "which might be" and also "if it was xperimentally worn is not known".

It is my opinion the buckle not yet having the swastika was intended to be the
    new version buckle, according to the drawings for the new spade form as published
    in the Verordnungsblatt der Reichsleitung des Arbeitsdienstes, issue 19 from
    March 2, 1934. This symbol was as such intended to be for flags etc.
    Who knows the F.W. Assmann-concern may have thought it to be the new spade-form
    for the entire labor service, before it became the Reichsarbeitsdienst, but based
    upon the old FAD-form, which did not have a swastika.

Just a guess! For many years I was looking for actual and official evidence, but until
    this moment no luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast