Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on this M4/30 Berg & Nolte 1937 RAD Buckle?

Article about: Came across this recently and was thinking of making a purchase, but wanted some input here first. Based on my research of others posts and pictures online, I am leaning toward original - bu

Default Thoughts on this M4/30 Berg & Nolte 1937 RAD Buckle?

Came across this recently and was thinking of making a purchase, but wanted some input here first. Based on my research of others posts and pictures online, I am leaning toward original - but two things are bothering me. First of all, there is no dot or button in the handle of the spade as I have seen on other B&N RAD buckles. The second issue is that the "catch" (I think it's called, opposite the prongs) seems to be slightly bent, whereas in other pictures I've come across it appears quite straight.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on this M4/30 Berg & Nolte 1937 RAD Buckle?
    P
    Many

In my opinion original and whilst RAD buckles are extremely common, those manufactured by B & N are not often seen. Perhaps this is my imagination though.

A very minor point is the reference to M4/30 which indeed correlates with B & N buckle manufacturing activities. Having said that, the RAD as an organisation enjoyed in house quality, design etc. control, instead of the RZM. As such, a RAD buckle by B & N would not and in theory, be marked M4/30. Instead and in again in theory, the RAD required that the buckle manufacturers display on a buckle's reverse, an indication of the maker by say their initials or logo and furthermore, an abbreviation for the year of manufacture. All "in theory" of course. Gwar is our resident expert in relation to RAD buckles and he would be able to provide more precise, detailed and authoritative information if required.

The buckle shown has a worn obverse and this has erased some of the fine detail, to include that on the neck of the spade. This can be seen by looking at the spade from the reverse. The "old silver" chemical finish to the obverse has worn off and the leather tongue which once accompanied this buckle is missing. Finally, the integral catch is indeed distorted and I have no idea how this feat was achieved.

In my opinion, an original RAD buckle, however in a decidedly tired condition.

Attached are images of a 1937 B & N RAD which provides a clue as to how the subject buckle here started life.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

A common buckle in worn condition. If you like it and can get it at a cheap price go for it.