Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Advice needed on removing rust from helmet

Article about: Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and would like advice on removing rust from a German helmet found in Volgograd. I have never attempted anything like this before and so I am a little nervo

Default Advice needed on removing rust from helmet

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and would like advice on removing rust from a German helmet found in Volgograd.

I have never attempted anything like this before and so I am a little nervous. I also don’t want to damage the two decals and the soldiers name which he has painted on the inside.

Any assistance will be greatly welcomed.

Thanks so much,

David

Advice needed on removing rust from helmetAdvice needed on removing rust from helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice needed on removing rust from helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

One of the more popular ways is to use an acid bath but there are other options as well.

Often the best course of action is to leave it as is. In it's current state, it will outlast you.

Some use a bees wax or Renaissance wax to stabilize the helmet.

I've never tried anything, preferring to leave everything in it's untouched state.

Here is a good starter thread for you until others chime in

Removing rust from helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

As Map said I'd leave it alone, it looks like a pretty solid shell.

Default Here is another angle

Thanks, I included another angle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advice needed on removing rust from helmet  

DON'T look at You tube, there are some horrendous videos of people getting the sandpaper out to try to "stabilize" a rusty helmet.

I've tried lots of things but eventually rust wins - a light scrub with a bristle brush and sit it on the shelf to enjoy - it will never make you money, only viewing pleasure!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Yes it’s for the shelf, I have no interest in selling it. It was water damaged during shipping though we don’t know how it happened. It took 3 months from Russia to be delivered. It sat for over 2.5 months in Poland on a loading dock. Because of COVID it got held up but somehow got water logged worsening the existing rust.

I have a similar relic helmet (M35 DD) found in Voldagrad. Can you tell if this one is an M35 and are there any decals on the other side of the helmet? I’m not sure what the acid would do to the name so I’d leave as is as suggested.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    I have a similar relic helmet (M35 DD) found in Voldagrad. Can you tell if this one is an M35 and are there any decals on the other side of the helmet? I’m not sure what the acid would do to the name so I’d leave as is as suggested.
    Looks like an M35 to me, single band alu liner and tricolor decal.
    I don't think the oxalic will do much to the name. At least that wasn't the case for the named gas mask canister piece I once found and cleaned up with acid.
    But follow the general consensus, don't do anything drastic to it.
    Luis