Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Did this helmet sit on German Soldier's head?

Article about: Hi guys, I recently got this helmet and I am wondering if this is a real German helmet from WWII. What can you guys tell me about it. Could this have been worn by a German soldiers in WWII o

Default Did this helmet sit on German Soldier's head?

Hi guys, I recently got this helmet and I am wondering if this is a real German helmet from WWII. What can you guys tell me about it. Could this have been worn by a German soldiers in WWII or is it one of those after the war Finnish or Spanish helmets that were worn? As far as markings all I can see on it is a number 19 and possibly 8 after at the back of the lip. What do you think is the condition of it on the scale 1-10? What about the camo paint on it? Does this tell you anything?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Did this helmet sit on German Soldier's head?   Did this helmet sit on German Soldier's head?  

Did this helmet sit on German Soldier's head?   Did this helmet sit on German Soldier's head?  

Did this helmet sit on German Soldier's head?   Did this helmet sit on German Soldier's head?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Did this helmet sit on German Soldier's head?
    P
    Many

It's an original german ww2 m42 shell (looks like a small size) but that paint is not original, there is rust/pitting underneath. So basically what you have is a post-war repainted original shell.

I measured around the outside and it looks like its 65cm so I assume its a 64 shell size. So what you are saying it could have been used in the war right? it was just repainted after the war for some reason right?

If you measure it again and now pull the measuring tape tightly around the helmet, at the height of the 3 split pin holes, does it now measure 64cm? If it measures 64 outside, that means it's a 62 size shell (it looks like a 62 to my eyes), you must always subtract 2 cm from the outside (shell sizes are always measured from the inside circumference where the linerband would have been).

And yes, it's a ww2 m42 but repainted, and if the markings are in 2 different places it was an earlier m42 production (in later productions they moved both markings, size/manufacturer and lotnumber, to the same place in the back of the skirt).

I can't accurately comment on the question if it was actually used in the war, but i think it probably was because it looks like a repainted relic/bottom find. Many people paint over relics because they think it makes them look better, but i think it has the opposite effect.

p.s. It doesn't necessarily mean that it was worn by a German soldier, many other nationalities fought for the German army, using their helmets and equipment. But statistically ofcourse, you could assume that the soldier wearing it was probably a German.

MAP
    ?

Agree with Byzantium, looks like an original WW2 produced M42 that has been repainted postwar.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I measured it again like you said at the pin holes level with a string and with a tape measure and it definitely is 65 cm. So what shell size is it 63? or 64?. BTW which insert size should I be buying for this helmet and what's the best place to buy it from when it comes to quality/value? What should I be looking for?

MAP
    ?

Quote by TurboLover72 View Post
    I measured it again like you said at the pin holes level with a string and with a tape measure and it definitely is 65 cm. So what shell size is it 63? or 64?. BTW which insert size should I be buying for this helmet and what's the best place to buy it from when it comes to quality/value? What should I be looking for?
    Shell sizes only came in even numbers. So 60, 62, 64, 66, 68 and 70.

As far as where to buy a repro liner I can not help. That said, personally, I would leave the helmet as is and not put any more money into it. You might even want to remove the post war paint to return it as much as possible to it's original relic condition state. There are threads here discussing the proper way to remove paint.

Adding a liner really doesn't do much for this helmet. If you really want a complete helmet, I would recommend saving some money and look for a decent untouched original example.

But, if it's a project you want to pursue, that go for it, there is nothing you can do to this helmet that will hurt it's value as it has already been repainted.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Oh yeah, I would love to remove that paint and see what underneath... Are you guys saying that it's possible to remove the top layer of paint and be able to save some of what's underneath? I sure would leave the original paint on. Does anyone have a link to instructions on how to do it?

If you want to remove the paint then paint stripper will do it, hard to say what original paint might be underneath. If you were thinking of adding anything then I would look for an original liner band and pins perhaps. A full piece of liner with leatherwork won't look right and in the end this is a relic WW2 shell. A momento of the owner, who may or may not have lived to see the wars end.

So just use paint stripper? But wouldn't that strip the original paint too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast