Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Helmets

Article about: On a recent rip to Russia and the Baltic states I purchased these two M35 helmets One was in a military store in Tallinn and the other from a scavenger in Volgograd. Can anyone throw any lig

Default German Helmets

On a recent rip to Russia and the Baltic states I purchased these two M35 helmets One was in a military store in Tallinn and the other from a scavenger in Volgograd. Can anyone throw any light on the Hersteller SS label.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Helmets   German Helmets  

German Helmets   German Helmets  

German Helmets   German Helmets  

German Helmets  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Helmets
    P
    Many

?

It looks like the SS helmet was made Yesterday. The vent holes are incorrect too IMO. Also the RZM tag is absurd and doesn't belong there, so for me it's no good.

The relic looks ok in my opinion and if cleaned should make a nice display item.

Regards, Rik

The SS one is a poor quality copy shell, the other one is an M40, not M35 and looks fine as already said.

Quote by Dschop View Post
    It looks like the SS helmet was made Yesterday. The vent holes are incorrect too IMO. Also the RZM tag is absurd and doesn't belong there, so for me it's no good.

The relic looks ok in my opinion and if cleaned should make a nice display item.

Regards, Rik
    Yep, unfortunately the "SS" helmet is a complete repro, including the shell. The relic is a real M40. Jim G.

Quote by Dschop View Post

Regards, Rik
    I agree with Rik. That paint job is so new I can smell it from here and the decal looks like a bubblegum sticker. The vent hole thing could be just that the grommet is missing but that would mean the paint was applied after it came adrift. The liner is not good nor is the drawstring and the chinstrap looks like a repro to me as well. As stated the RZM label is just wrong. Sorry this is not good reading but to anybody who has ever seen an original in hand this one is not even close. Please do some research before buying anything like this or you will be burned.
    You won't be able to recover anything from this but it might be useful as a plant pot. Even a reenactor will not want it

On the plus side the relic looks OK.

Don't be disheartened, we have all bought a duck egg from time to time and even experienced collectors get caught. In years to come you will realise how obvious this one is so just put it down as a learning experience.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

CBH
    ?

As stated above the SS helmet is fake, the RZM "B" is for cotton insignia, I don't think the helmet is cotton.