Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying chinstraps, what are these?

Article about: Hello! I recently picked up a liner from an antique store. It's a German liner dated 1943 size 58 and was made by Metall Lederverarbeitung. Attachment 1676848 I usually collect M1 helmets, s

?

Default Identifying chinstraps, what are these?

Hello! I recently picked up a liner from an antique store. It's a German liner dated 1943 size 58 and was made by Metall Lederverarbeitung.

I usually collect M1 helmets, so I do not know much about German ww2 chinstraps and post war variants. I haven't seen these types of chin straps. On top of that there are 8 holes at the top of the helmet maybe to be perforated. The chinstrap is not dated and appears to use split pins. Are these reissued chinstraps for Germany or another country? And why are there 8 holes? I would love some help on this and I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying chinstraps, what are these?
    P
    Many

This appears to be from a Wartime Stahlhelm reissued postwar to the Norwegian Army - They dyed the leather and added brown chinstraps...

TWS
    ?

The stamping on the liner band indicates it was manufactured by Werner Zahn in Berlin-Charlottenburg.

I think Glenn's assessment is correct.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Ah yes! Thank you that would explain it

MAP
    ?

I would agree with Glenn and Todd
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The Norwegians ( usually but not always ) used a brass domed head split pin to secure the leather to the band.
    This is the case with this one as in photo #5 the domed style type can be seen, although the flat alloy German one can be found.
    I guess there was some run-out period of the flat type before the "normal" brass ones kicked in.....

?

I don't know if it's only a longstanding rumour that Norway redyed these liners against headlice,but your third photo shows someone ripped out the Norwegian leather chin relief on the short strap
    Last edited by Kateri; 09-25-2023 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Changed long for short.