Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Inquiry Regarding Different color rust on helmet

Article about: I am aware that darker rust is old and yellow rust is new, but sometimes treatment can create this yellow rust. Now, I have observed this helmet, which prompts some curiosity. On the outside

Default Inquiry Regarding Different color rust on helmet

I am aware that darker rust is old and yellow rust is new, but sometimes treatment can create this yellow rust. Now, I have observed this helmet, which prompts some curiosity. On the outside, it has obviously been treated, and the rust is very dark and old. However, on the inside, the rust is bright yellow. Maybe this was due to treatment? I would think so, if it wasn’t for the fact there is still debris and bits of things in the inside. This leads me to believe it hasn’t been treated heavily, since presumably the bits would have been cleaned off. Now, I’m asking what do you think about this?
    The point of this thread is to prompt discussion about rust on relic helmets and for others (including myself) who read it to gain knowledge on the topic.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Inquiry Regarding Different color rust on helmet
    P
    Many

M38
    ?

I think what you are seeing on the inside of this shell is active rust compared to neutralized rust on the outside.

Cheers,
    Terry

Thanks for the response!
    So, active rust is rust that has been continuously rusting, and neutralized rust is rust that has stopped being active?

Remember what Neil Young said? ...... 'Rust never sleeps'

...and when you take something out of the ground, hey presto, it starts afresh!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Just let it rust in peace.

Whatever the organic debris is on the inside of this helmet it will hold moisture and will continue to attract rust. It's possibly remains of newspaper used to help insulate the helmet for the owner.

Interesting! I have heard that renaissance wax will stop rust from eating away something. Does anyone know if this works?
    I suppose that if it denies oxygen from getting in the steel, it should do the job?

?

two different kinds of metal.

Remember what Neil Young said? ...... 'Rust never sleeps' Danmark

Good Ole One Note Neil! Still love his music. Seen him many times over the decades, with CS&N and solo. An icon. Jim G.

?

Sorry to go slightly off-topic in your thread.
    @ Helmet2id, could you contact me via PM? I tried to contact you, but your inbox is full. Thx!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast