Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Italian Campaign M40

Article about: I bought this recently for \\$70, with provenance that it came out of Italy. It's been struck twice by bullets, and has a stress crack on top of the dome. There is a large hole on the side tha

Default Italian Campaign M40

Italian Campaign M40Italian Campaign M40

I bought this recently for $70, with provenance that it came out of Italy. It's been struck twice by bullets, and has a stress crack on top of the dome. There is a large hole on the side that took out one of the air vents. I believe the big hole was caused by the two bullets, no doubt by then mushroomed. Whoever was wearing this helmet (if it was being worn) was killed.

There are remnants of "sand" camo paint, which is seen easily if the helmet is wet, which it is in the photos. I can also see trace amounts of the original green paint as well. I do not see any makers marks or lot numbers. Would Oxalic Acid do this helmet any good? At any rate, it's nice and clean, and a very nice piece of history.

What stories it could tell...

- - ------- - -

By the way, it's a rainy day and I never get good pics on a rainy day. The next time it's sunny, I'll be glad to add more pictures.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Italian Campaign M40
    P
    Many

A nice helmet, but I doubt that the larger hole has been made by the two bullets. The energy left after going through the rim would not be enough to cleanly punch out a chunk of metal that size. It is more likely to be shrapnel damage.

Cheers,
    Steve

I think that oxalid acid treatment could be good for this helmet. Remainings of painting are not so much but a treatment can be only positive for this piece. This is my opinion. Now you have to decide if you want any treatments and leave the helmet with its own 'age patina' or try with oxalic....

I would keep it as is and not treat. Looks clean enough, nice example.

Yours is a good idea

I think I'll keep it as is for now, and try it on another relic helmet that is in poor condition first and see how I like it. At any rate, I need to find some renaissance wax now.

A great product for me is Fidoil

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    I think I'll keep it as is for now, and try it on another relic helmet that is in poor condition first and see how I like it. At any rate, I need to find some renaissance wax now.
    A cheaper alternative - and just as effective - is any beeswax based furniture polish. The type you get in jars... don't use spray cans.

Oxalic acid affects the colour of any surviving paint quite badly. It's far better to keep this helmet as is, especially as it looks like there's no active rust.

B.B.

CSW
    ?

As said above, it would make no sense to use ANY acid on a helmet that has already been cleaned... a good decision to keep it as is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast