Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M-40 sd?

Article about: Good Day, I picked this relic up sometime ago and finally decided to give it some love. I just want to make it a little more presentable. The lid is solid with no spots rusting through. How

Default M-40 sd?

Good Day,

I picked this relic up sometime ago and finally decided to give it some love. I just want to make it a little more presentable. The lid is solid with no spots rusting through. How to clean it and do I remove the remnants of the liner band?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-40 sd?   M-40 sd?  

M-40 sd?   M-40 sd?  

M-40 sd?   M-40 sd?  

M-40 sd?   M-40 sd?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-40 sd?
    P
    Many

Quote by dginn69 View Post
    Good Day,

I picked this relic up sometime ago and finally decided to give it some love. I just want to make it a little more presentable. The lid is solid with no spots rusting through. How to clean it and do I remove the remnants of the liner band?
    Hi
    Looks like a nice solid helmet from a relic condition perspective, i have no opinion about the decal- not really my "field" due lack of knowledge at this moment, so to speak. There are couple options, but it is not like you can do much about "improving" the overall condition. First is that you can try to wash off the remains of the dirt/ soil with water and some brush, allthough judging from pictures the steell has coroded and it has deposits from sand and iron that aren't easily removable- more brutal method is that you use a blade from a knife and try to pry, scrape the layer of sand/ iron rust off the surface, which will damage the remains of the paint if there is any left or simply it will end with new hole in the metal. Also it can be cleaned with oxalic acid. In my opinion it is unnecessary to remove the remains of the liner band- unless the helmet is restored for re-enactment or You plan to wear it- because once it is done- You can't undo this step, I would just leave it. After cleaning I usually coat the helmet with a layer of bee wax, to isolate the metal from humidity and air, also it fills up the rust holes and makes helmet look more presentable.
    With best regards,

Quote by Oberschutze View Post
    Hi
    Looks like a nice solid helmet from a relic condition perspective, i have no opinion about the decal- not really my "field" due lack of knowledge at this moment, so to speak. There are couple options, but it is not like you can do much about "improving" the overall condition. First is that you can try to wash off the remains of the dirt/ soil with water and some brush, allthough judging from pictures the steell has coroded and it has deposits from sand and iron that aren't easily removable- more brutal method is that you use a blade from a knife and try to pry, scrape the layer of sand/ iron rust off the surface, which will damage the remains of the paint if there is any left or simply it will end with new hole in the metal. Also it can be cleaned with oxalic acid. In my opinion it is unnecessary to remove the remains of the liner band- unless the helmet is restored for re-enactment or You plan to wear it- because once it is done- You can't undo this step, I would just leave it. After cleaning I usually coat the helmet with a layer of bee wax, to isolate the metal from humidity and air, also it fills up the rust holes and makes helmet look more presentable.
    With best regards,
    Thank you for the advice. I don't think I want to scrape it. But I think I will give it a good scrub maybe with some warm soapy water. I really just want to knock any lose dirt/ rust off. You are right in that it is solid as in no weak spots in the metal or rust holes. I may also put some wax on the decal to protect it.