Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 Winter relic from the Kurland bog

Article about: Hi all, Another relic helmet I have had for 8 years or so is this M35 found in 2012 in a swamp in Kurland by (former?) member Maris ( Ostland digger ) Here it is as found ...... Some folk wo

Default M35 Winter relic from the Kurland bog

Hi all,

Another relic helmet I have had for 8 years or so is this M35 found in 2012 in a swamp in Kurland by (former?) member Maris ( Ostland digger )

Here it is as found ......
    M35 Winter relic from the Kurland bog M35 Winter relic from the Kurland bog M35 Winter relic from the Kurland bog

Some folk worry about the damage that is done when cleaning but what can you do when they start off like this?

And here it now ..... much better for the effort!

M35 Winter relic from the Kurland bog M35 Winter relic from the Kurland bog

It has quite the finish - the original Apple Green, then a white winter coat, then a black/green? coat over that....
    Sadly with the corrosion, neither maker or lot number are visible ( although the liner band is dated 1938 and is size 66 )

M35 Winter relic from the Kurland bog

Hope you all like this one too?
    Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Winter relic from the Kurland bog  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Winter relic from the Kurland bog
    P
    Many

This one is very cool Dan! And I think I can see what might be the remains of some lacquer around the edges of the Heer decal. I wonder if you added a little Oxalic or something similar you might be able to reveal more of the name. Layers of history on this one and no pun intended.

MAP
    ?

Amazing the liner is still intact

This helmet certainly took a blast
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    This one is very cool Dan! And I think I can see what might be the remains of some lacquer around the edges of the Heer decal. I wonder if you added a little Oxalic or something similar you might be able to reveal more of the name. Layers of history on this one and no pun intended.
    Sadly it has deteriorated a little more over the last 8 years it has been out of the swamp - as the bard said, "rust never sleeps" and some more flaking has occurred - this is the problem with metal that has started the oxidation process - unless you bathe it in a preservative like wax ( which often ruins any patina ) then it is unavoidable!

I don't think I can get any more out of it ....Mother nature ALWAYS reclaims her own.

Interesting helmet and history visible in the paint layers. The ongoing corrosion is a factor some buyers don't expect.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Interesting helmet and history visible in the paint layers. The ongoing corrosion is a factor some buyers don't expect.
    Too true Anderson - and a valid reason for many NOT to collect these.
    But, as in life, nothing is forever so if it crumbles to dust eventually then the circle is complete!

...... there I go, being a bl##dy philosopher again!

Yep ya took a dig on this one!

You could always apply a lot of Renaissance Wax as that should really slow down the rust.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    You could always apply a lot of Renaissance Wax as that should really slow down the rust.
    I know but i tried it on some small relics and wasn't sold..... ive also tried matt lacquer which is invisible but still darkens the finish.

The leather seems to have an amazing condition for being that long underground. Definitly a nice piece!

May the guy who wore it rest in peace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast