MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?

Article about: So I came across this M40 Luftschutz helmet not long ago, I would say in my humble experience that the shell is original, but I am trying to figure out if the decal is original or a fake one

Default M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?

So I came across this M40 Luftschutz helmet not long ago, I would say in my humble experience that the shell is original, but I am trying to figure out if the decal is original or a fake one (the pictures the owner offers won´t help as well ). A funny thing is some of the previous owners tried to create an improvised liner and stuck a screw into the vent holes . I would love to hear your opinions on it!

M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Luftschutz Helmet, original or fake decal?
    P
    Many

Decal looks okay to me though it does look like the wings point up abit more than usual. I am not as good with decals as most of the others here so i'd definitely look for some second opinions. I do know allot of Luftshutz helmets were 'Denazified' after the war.
    The screw through the vent holes is rather amusing as it seems everytime I show off my helmets to my family they always ask if the vent holes are for the liner!

Here is a Quist M40 example I found from one of Donald L.'s Helmets on German Helmet Vault. It has a similarly poorly applied decal with pointed up wings.
    Paint tone looks similar to the helmet you posted aswell

Another Quist M40 Luftschutz from GHV for comparison (Note how the wings are less pointed up)

Overall I believe it is an original decal with the swastika scratched off.

Hope this helps!

Regards.
    Last edited by Mordecai; 12-14-2023 at 06:40 AM.

Thanks for your answer Mordecai! The pointed up wings was something strange looking for me tho, but seeing now that there are more decals with that design gives me some hope it might be real.
    I made an act of faith and bought it today. I will post more pictures as soon as it arrives!