Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My relic condition Luftwaffe Helmet.

Article about: Hello Guys, I´ve just received my second relic helmet... i´ve really learned to love relic condition helmets because you see the story behind them much more then on a perfectly fine conditio

Default My relic condition Luftwaffe Helmet.

Hello Guys,
    I´ve just received my second relic helmet... i´ve really learned to love relic condition helmets because you see the story behind them much more then on a perfectly fine conditioned helmet.
    Nowadays they are just pieces of rusty metal, 70 years ago they where the protection of someones life.
    This one is a Luftwaffe M35 helmet, which the seller claimed to be a DD one. The helmet was found in the Flak circle arround Leipzig.
    His front is completly destroyed and he has cracks all arround, i would guess he was hit by a shrapnel so that the helmet front was destroyed and the rest was bent, leading to a high tension in the helmet, which made the helmet crack while rusting.
    I dont know what i should think about the National Decal tho, the helmet was for sure overpainted in war time, you can clearly see a layer of light gray paint which is often coverd by a darker gray paint on top.
    The Luftwaffe decal is also partly coverd by the darker paint, but the National Decal - if it ever existed- is completly covered and you can only see some white and red pieces peaking out of some places, but i´ve found 2 pieces of the same red paint on completly other parts of the helmet.
    Overall i like this piece very much, and even if it is not a DD i´m not disappointed because i bought the helmet because of the Luftwaffe eagel which is good enough intact for me.

May the Soldier who probably lost his live in this helmet rest in piece.

My relic condition Luftwaffe Helmet.My relic condition Luftwaffe Helmet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My relic condition Luftwaffe Helmet.
    P
    Many

Is there any markings inside the skirt that might tell you who made it ? It is pretty far gone and one can only imagine the fate of the owner.

I first thought not, but after your post i retried in the darkness, and with the light in the right angle i found both markings.
    One looks like a ET 62, so an Eisenwerke Thale one.
    And the Lotr number: 3(Either an 8 or a 9)91.
    Both versions do not directly confirm or deny the DD theory, because in the 3891 section there are only DD SS helmets, and the 3991 number range is between a SD Heer and a DD KM... There are both DD Luftwaffe Helmets (4056 and 3875) and SD Luftwaffe Helmets (3977 and 3954 -reissue-) in the near number range so i guess there is no safety...

Also, yes this piece shows absolutly the brutality of war, and the only thing one can hope for is that the soldier wearing this had a quick and painless death.

Thats a lovely example, always wonder the story behind these items. I too have a preference for relics. Here's mine, a (slightly) more intact luftwaffe M35 in whats left of a winter camo.

I collect both but even with my ones in original condition I lean towards salty as I like to see some real usage in the item.

Adravor, looks like a national shield to me. A nice piece of history.

Also a very nice Piece speedfast, especially the remains of the Winter Cameo, if you have two layers of paint, it adds even more to the history the piece radiates.
    And yes, i also wonder who the people where that lived under my helmets, thats the main reason i collect them, maybe they are the last remenants of this person, the last remenant that they ever lived, by taking care of these helmets and saving them from destruction, we save the history they present, and we keep the history of the Great Wars alive, so that we remember how many people died and fought in these wars. Because only if people remember these horrors, we can assure that something like that never happends again.

Adravor, this was my first relic helmet. A DDM35 allegedly from Stalingrad (was posted from Voldagrad). I will photograph the helmet when I am better setup. Was hit so hard on the the vent pieces that are pressed into the vent holes on M35’s was blasted out of the shell. I have a snow camo M40 and sold a relic M42 this week to make room for more lids but I won’t sell this one as it’s too interesting.

My first relic helmet

MAP
    ?

Quote by Adravor View Post
    ....i´ve really learned to love relic condition helmets because you see the story behind them much more then on a perfectly fine conditioned helmet.
    Congrats on you new pick up. Certainly has a lot going on.

I will however disagree with the above statement.

A relic in most cases will show less history than a fine condition intact battle worn helmet. A relic could just as easily be a surrendered soldiers helmet bulldozed into a pit and crushed.

A nice solid battle worn helmet on the other hand will show you it's history and stories via the sweat stains in the liner, the stress on the chin strap, markings maybe indicating the unit, a name on the skirt and the scratches and wear to the paint. Maybe the shadow of a net, or removed white wash..... and it goes on.... And don't forget any background if it was a Vet bring back. The story of the vet, how he acquired it, where he fought, etc. etc.

I'm not bashing relics. I own a couple myself. Every helmet however has it's place from true mint/untouched all the way to relics.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Congrats on you new pick up. Certainly has a lot going on.

I will however disagree with the above statement.

A relic in most cases will show less history than a fine condition intact battle worn helmet. A relic could just as easily be a surrendered soldiers helmet bulldozed into a pit and crushed.

A nice solid battle worn helmet on the other hand will show you it's history and stories via the sweat stains in the liner, the stress on the chin strap, markings maybe indicating the unit, a name on the skirt and the scratches and wear to the paint. Maybe the shadow of a net, or removed white wash..... and it goes on.... And don't forget any background if it was a Vet bring back. The story of the vet, how he acquired it, where he fought, etc. etc.

I'm not bashing relics. I own a couple myself. Every helmet however has it's place from true mint/untouched all the way to relics.
    Thanks Michael. I saw that earlier and would have replied with something very similar but didn't have time at the moment.

I totally agree with what you are saying Michael but we also need to be mindful of Collector’s, particularly younger ones, who may be on a budget or are just feeling their way into the hobby.

I think the OP was probably referring more to top shelf items that look like they were never worn but certainly the type you have described are the type that tick all the boxes for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast