Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My relics

Article about: Not really my thing, but I get the interest in relic helmets… they are strangely evocative of the last moments of its time. They set your mind wandering… Anyway, I thought I would post m

?

Default My relics

Not really my thing, but I get the interest in relic helmets… they are strangely evocative of the last moments of its time. They set your mind wandering…

Anyway, I thought I would post my modest acquisitions for posterity.
    I picked these up when I was a poor student in the early eighties, and like all the little details, such as the clear trace of decal, rubber band, lining felt, wire basket, &c.
    I believe they were found in France, for what it’s worth, but there is nothing to prove nor disprove this, of course.

Well, all the best to you all,
    Rob.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My relics   My relics  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My relics
    P
    Many

To me, relics are very evocative Rob. Not only do they represent a period in your collecting life, but as you say, “evocative of the last moments in time”….I find them very poignant as to me they represent the original owner more then any other piece that I could collect. They may not be “minty”, may not have “super decals” or liner, but they were probably the most important item a solider had when they were dug into a half foot trench with shrapnel flying around as thick as Dandelion fluff.

These are two interesting relics. We may never know the true story but we know they were definitely part of it.

Andy

They have survived quite well over the last 40 years!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Hello, I like them. How many things these two helmets and their wearers could witness. You can't even imagine. R.I.P. + Regards, Peeloo

There is still the same amount of history on them as of artifacts that are mint. They have been there and will always have a very large story to tell.

All artifacts are equal to each other because they been there no matter what condition.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I would say there is far more history in a rusty relic of the battlefield than a minty, unissued one, Larry, but I agree with your sentiment!
    It all has its place in history (just not to my collecting tastes, that’s all).
    Nonetheless, I am glad that these have met with such appreciation.