Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New Here. Gladiator helmet questions need help.

Article about: Hello, everyone. I'm Simon I'm new here and upon hearing of this site I am digging out mine and my brothers helmets and caps to share them, identify them, and hopefully authenticate them. My

Default New Here. Gladiator helmet questions need help.

Hello, everyone. I'm Simon I'm new here and upon hearing of this site I am digging out mine and my brothers helmets and caps to share them, identify them, and hopefully authenticate them. My first is a gladiator helmet I got years ago. It came from a friend who has a farm in the Ukraine and I do know him quite well. Here's the story I got with it. The farm had a bunker (not sure if just one) of some sort. He and his dad went into it, he said the entrance was blocked up and one day he and his dad decided to go in it. There were rotted boxes, spent cases of different sizes and other wise empty but a couple helmets and some other trinkets were inside they kept. The helmet was sitting on a concrete shelf on top of an empty sack or bag of some sort. He kept it for a while and he ended up giving it to me. I asked how he got it and told me the story above. He indicated that on top of the bunker something sat there like maybe a gun. I thought it might be an anti aircraft helmet or a civil defense helmet. I wanted one to make a NSDAP helmet with, but given the story I decided against it. My brother has said it's a Luftschutz helmet that someone has wire wheeled the eagle off it and I should paint it the a way I see fit. It doesn't look wire wheeled to me but I could be wrong. Even if the story might be embellished a bit by my friend I'd like to know what it is. I'd rather leave it alone. Should it have a decal? has one been stripped off the front of the helmet like I have been told?

New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help. New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help. New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help. New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help. New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help. New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help. New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help. New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help. New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help. New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Here.  Gladiator helmet questions need help.
    P
    Many

It is a one piece gladiator Luftschutz helmet. Most of these DID NOT have decals and it does not look like this one ever did. The liner is real as is the strap. I would leave it as is. Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    It is a one piece gladiator Luftschutz helmet. Most of these DID NOT have decals and it does not look like this one ever did. The liner is real as is the strap. I would leave it as is. Jim G.
    Thanks, I like the story that came with it. He gave me the helmet so no reason to make it up in my opinion. Once I got it, I knew I wasn't going to do a NSDAP helmet with it, and I argued quite a while with my brother on the decal issue. I have a few other helmets and officers caps I want to post. Should I make a new thread for each helmet? I know there is a sub-forum for the SS helmets of which I have one.

New thread with single items is appreciated. NH

Quote by SimonSorenKam View Post
    Thanks, I like the story that came with it. He gave me the helmet so no reason to make it up in my opinion. Once I got it, I knew I wasn't going to do a NSDAP helmet with it, and I argued quite a while with my brother on the decal issue. I have a few other helmets and officers caps I want to post. Should I make a new thread for each helmet? I know there is a sub-forum for the SS helmets of which I have one.
    Please start a separate thread for each of your helmets, even if they are in the same category.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I agree with your brother, it's a Luftschutz helm, not a combat helmet. Quite how it got to the Ukraine is lost to time, but there were Paramilitary units who acted under the Germans and perhaps this was worn by someone. Don't add anything to it, leave it as found.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I agree with your brother, it's a Luftschutz helm, not a combat helmet. Quite how it got to the Ukraine is lost to time, but there were Paramilitary units who acted under the Germans and perhaps this was worn by someone. Don't add anything to it, leave it as found.
    I'm not touching it. After I got the story and saw the actual condition I decided against it. I have been over the helmet, it shows no signs of ever having a decal, and no removal marks. I have seen other One piece helmets without a decal. I guess I should have someone hold it in their hands and inspect it better than I can.

my book "German helmets 1939-1945 A collectors guide" came in today and before I knew it I was over half way through the book. One of many I have ordered and fascinating.

MAP
    ?

Quote by SimonSorenKam View Post
    my book "German helmets 1939-1945 A collectors guide" came in today and before I knew it I was over half way through the book. One of many I have ordered and fascinating.
    That is a book that should be read over and over and always have it close at hand.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)