Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Rate my judgement

Article about: So I've been studying up on German helmets for the past few weeks (what else have I to do?), and I've payed German Helmet Vault several visits, so I thought I'd take a look at the helmet I'v

Default Rate my judgement

So I've been studying up on German helmets for the past few weeks (what else have I to do?), and I've payed German Helmet Vault several visits, so I thought I'd take a look at the helmet I've had my eyes on, and see if it was real. Y'all tell me if I'm right.

Rate my judgementRate my judgementRate my judgement

M35 Wehrmacht helmet, because of the inward rolled edges, and the separately inserted vent. specks of perhaps original paint (black or darker colored areas) that seems okay. Supposedly from Novgorod, but I can take that with a grain of salt.

Diagnosis, real shell, affordable.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rate my judgement
    P
    Many

Rusty, it’s an original shell. It is the vents that differentiate between the M35 and 40 not the rolled edge as both have the same. M42’s have a raw edge. I’m leaning towards an M35 shell but with so much rust it may be an M40 - hard to be sure. Inside photos of the vents, if the surface is better, will definitely help determine the model.
    Andy

Hello, I would also say M35,as said pictures of the inside will help.

Sorry, I didn't know the inside was important. Here's a pic.

Rate my judgement

Rate my judgement
    M35 Vent hole, no signs of stamping, just a hole the same height as the rest of the helmet.

Rate my judgement
    M42 Vent hole, signs of stamping, arround the hole there is a rim where its deeper then the rest inside the helmet. (As that is what creates the buldge outside.)

The pictues arent perfect, but i just made a quick shot with my phone... i hope you can see it.

To the Relic shell, i´m normally not the guy who says that but... there are way better relic shells for good prices out there. This one has no signs of decal, no liner band and not that much paint left, it also looks wet, so maybe oiled (I personally dont like the look of oiled relics that much.)...
    I would recommend searching for a helmet that has atleast one of the points stated above, as there are really a lot of relics, especially out of russia.

This one was only 80 Euros for example:
    Relic Luftwaffe Helmet

Quote by Adravor View Post
    Rate my judgement
    M35 Vent hole, no signs of stamping, just a hole the same height as the rest of the helmet.

Rate my judgement
    M42 Vent hole, signs of stamping, arround the hole there is a rim where its deeper then the rest inside the helmet. (As that is what creates the buldge outside.)

The pictues arent perfect, but i just made a quick shot with my phone... i hope you can see it.

To the Relic shell, i´m normally not the guy who says that but... there are way better relic shells for good prices out there. This one has no signs of decal, no liner band and not that much paint left, it also looks wet, so maybe oiled (I personally dont like the look of oiled relics that much.)...
    I would recommend searching for a helmet that has atleast one of the points stated above, as there are really a lot of relics, especially out of russia.

This one was only 80 Euros for example:
    Relic Luftwaffe Helmet
    Decals don't mean anything to me, neither does paint. Besides, there are so many faked paints and decals out there, it's really discouraged me from buying anything German.

- - ------- - -

Not to mention that I can't (okay won't) spend over $100. I set my limit, and I'm sticking to it.

Mhm, your choice. And Relics are, relatively save, i havent seen any fakes, with the exceptions of SS and Cameo helmets so far, in most cases it would be to much effort for the money.
    If it doesent mean anything to you, the helmet should be good though.

Quote by Adravor View Post
    Mhm, your choice. And Relics are, relatively save, i havent seen any fakes, with the exceptions of SS and Cameo helmets so far, in most cases it would be to much effort for the money.
    If it doesent mean anything to you, the helmet should be good though.
    By the way, I was not trying to bash your helmet, I was just saying in general, there are too many fakes out there for me to spend my hard earned money on something that some experts can't even readily see.

I didnt see it is as bashing my helmet, but as i said, relic helmets are with the exception of cameos or SS Decals a rather save collecting space, the risk of getting a fake is not really high, if you ask the forum before buying almost 0%. Fakes are getting better, but you can still identify them, especially decals as all reproduction decals have flaws so far.