Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Relic DD M35 with shrapnel damage

Article about: This was one of the first helmets I purchased when I started collecting nearly 4 years ago. An M35 DD helmet in relic condition that was said to have been picked up in Stalingrad (yes, I kno

Default Relic DD M35 with shrapnel damage

This was one of the first helmets I purchased when I started collecting nearly 4 years ago. An M35 DD Heer helmet in relic condition that was said to have been picked up in Stalingrad (yes, I know the saying), but was at least purchased from a seller in Volgograd via eBay. But I digress...

This example is fitted with dome headed brass rivets which appear to have been finished in a lighter green compared to the remaining paint on the shell which looks like pea green. Interestingly, there are areas that show a lighter almost apple green showing through. The tri colour appears to have been dug out which leads me to suspect that the helmet may have been reissued as an SD M35 at some point although the darker green seems a bit too smooth!?

Inside is a double aluminium liner band with one square cornered chinstrap bale still in place. Obviously this example received some serious damage, so much so, that one of the impacts popped the right side air vent rivet out of the shell and another impact caused a crack to radiate out over the dome of the shell. Certainly a reminder of the fragility of these helmets when under direct fire.

Andy
    Relic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damageRelic DD M35 with shrapnel damage

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic DD M35 with shrapnel damage
    P
    Many

Nice Andy - looks like it has taken a heavy hit for sure, especially with the crack across the dome.
    The Heer decal is interesting as this is another example where you can see the white underneath - which we were discussing with Giant's recent camo acquisition.

I think probably not re-issue based on the paint.

nick

Hi Nick,
    Yes, was thinking the same about the white of the decal. I’m thinking most likely not a reissue too but what of the lighter green paint? e.g. the 2nd last pic. I don’t think it’s been treated with oxalic acid due to the darkness of the pea green coloured paint, so who knows....
    A

Nice helmet, Andy, and it has the indicative yellow stuff on it that comes from when the helmet is left in the oxalic acid bath for too long.
    I cleaned items myself with oxalic acid and if you leave them in for too long it starts getting this yellow layer on bare metal surfaces and it is hard to get off and I suspect the same happened here.
    But other than that it is a very nice relic with probably a sad story behind it that we will probably never know..
    Certainly a nice starter helmet, though.
    Luis

?

not a good place for ones KORPF to be!! his head & helmet was at GROUND ZERO!!

Thanks for the information Luis. Yes, I’ve seen other helmets with that yellow look to them so probably put in oxalic acid as you say. This is one that I treated with Ren wax to stabilise it. We’ll never know what happened to the original owner. Perhaps the helmets was simply sitting on the battlefield and was hit by shrapnel.

Andy

MAP
    ?

"You've come a long way baby!"

Still a very nice looking relic.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Lol! Thanks MAP. Funny how the more addicted you become, the more the drugs cost

Andy

MAP
    ?

Lol...nice analogy. But true
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

"Nice", and IMO foremost powerful relic of war.. !