Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Relic german helmets

Article about: Hello my main interest is in collceting relic german helmets from the two wars.With eastern europe opened up its great to get german helmets from poland and russia.I have about 30 different

jh92
    ?

Default Re: Relic german helmets

WOW!!! Dude you rock, good job!

2. # ADS

So what do you do with the human remains that you must find on these digs?

jh92
    ?

Yea?

?

very beautiful helmets.

Default Re: small part of mine relics

You're basically nothing better than a grave robber. Do you think these helmets are just lying around to be picked up? All thru eastern Europe and Russia old war graves are being plundered for 'relics'. Do the dead get a decent reburial after their graves are searched for medals, helmets, etc? Yes, I may be a hypocrite in that my German helmet and badges may have been taken off dead soldiers, but if they were it was during / after battle, not dug up 70 years later from a war grave.

?

I suggest you ponder over what you just wrote. Unless we have proven evidence, nobody can accuse another member of being a grave robber. I think he also explained quite clearly where he found them.
    There were plenty of war dumps in my area and sometimes they are still found, where you can find what soldiers left behind in their retreat: helmets, mess kits, canteens, etc. And we had limited fights and troops here. Imagine that on full scale in the East, where hundreds of thousands of soldiers had to retreat or were defeated and left equipment all around. I have never been in the East but I have no problem in believing what Ostlandigger wrote. Helmets still can be found and dug stuff doesn't mean always grave.
    Regards

Matt

I would also suggest you read our forum friend "Ostlands" recent thread on how he has recovered the remains of many German fallen soldiers and helped restore their identity and ensured they have been reburied with honours, all working with the German authorities.

This forum does not approve of "black digging" nor will it allow members to make unfounded accusations against other valued members.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: small part of mine relics

Quote by Alexander View Post
    You're basically nothing better than a grave robber. Do you think these helmets are just lying around to be picked up? All thru eastern Europe and Russia old war graves are being plundered for 'relics'. Do the dead get a decent reburial after their graves are searched for medals, helmets, etc? Yes, I may be a hypocrite in that my German helmet and badges may have been taken off dead soldiers, but if they were it was during / after battle, not dug up 70 years later from a war grave.
    You're out of order to come onto the forum and make that accusation Alexander. Zeller is absolutely correct in what he says. I suggest you read the following thread started by the member you've accused of being a grave robber, especially the comments regarding what is done with any remains of the fallen:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battlefield-archaeology/all-what-s-left-after-battle-what-we-did-last-summer-39179/
    Then, when you've read it I suggest you retract your comments and apologise.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Very true, I admit that I may be wrong. I am aware of relic finds in former POW stagement areas, masses of equipment being dumped and, of course, equipment being lost in battle etc. I also am aware of grave looting to satisfy a demand for 'relics' by collectors. With the wide spread use of metal detecters a huge amount of material turns up, sure enough. However I not not so naive in thinking that graves are not being plundered to supply a demand for 'relics'. If it makes you feel happy to think it all comes from a dump, so be it, but it doesn't fool everyone. I am originally from NC, nobody would raise an eyebrow if you were looking for Civil War bullets or musket balls in the fields and woods, but we certainly would not dig up Union or Conferate war graves to satisfy our quest for relics.

I will apologize to Ostlander, I may have come across a tad too harsh.

I do stand on my viewpoint that not all relics are barn found. As for you, Zeller, perhaps you may like to research the German Wargraves Commission about graves in the east.

I am a military buff, so I am not here to offend, so I'll just shut up from now!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast