Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Relic M40 Waffen SS Helmet - Help, is it fake?

Article about: Good morning experts, Is my helmet legit? Purchased from Stalingrad. Imgur: The magic of the Internet Imgur: The magic of the Internet https://i.imgur.com/NuaNjjt.jpg https://i.imgur.com/RCB

Ok wow I just read the thread regarding the "viking helmet" that had been restored. He was even trying to sell it on Ebay!! I have just started a Paypal dispute.
    Would be great if anyone could provide some specific points as to why this looks/is fake.
    Looking at the decal the white paint under scratches does not look the same as the other helmet examples I have seenn scratched. Typically the ones I have seen the scratches remove the paint completely and do not show almost a "bright white primer" as seen in my photos?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M40 Waffen SS Helmet - Help, is it fake?
    P
    Many

Default Further decal photos

Relic M40 Waffen SS Helmet - Help, is it fake?Relic M40 Waffen SS Helmet - Help, is it fake?Relic M40 Waffen SS Helmet - Help, is it fake?

MAP
    ?

Hopefully RealSteel, Schwerpunkt, JimG, Leon and a few others will see this an opine.

They will for sure be able to provide you with all the info you need.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

IMO the decal does seem to resemble an EF decal, but the way it is coming away from the helmet would concern me. That and the reputation of the dealer.
    Plus - there are some pretty good fake decals out there now.
    Do you have a USB microscope you can take a close up with?
    Nick

Stalingradfront used to sponsor here, but they didn't last too long, I think this link was added before, but anyway ...
    www.stalingradfront.com opinions.

I think they had a large number of the barbed wire type helmets that started to appear a few years ago.
    "Per Ardua"

That is the problem with ground found helmets , basically they need more indepth inspection than one that kept in good condition.
    Decal looks correct for an EF M42 shell, if that already can be confirmed you are a step closer.
    However seeing how well it survived … a USB mircroscope could be handy here.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Frank. Agree looks like an EF and with my poor eyes and these photos I couldn't see any flaws myself (whatever that is worth)

But yes. A USB microscope will tell all!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well...been looking at this one all day.
    First impression was "A good EF decal". But trying to rationalize the decal surviving in this pristine condition on a shell in this poor shape was irrational. So went to my SS decal guy & he likes it too. Claims he knows a collector who has about 30 "ground dug" relic helmets & many the decals held up as this one did.
    So...from the pics available & observing with the human eye only, seems it is original
    D.

It looks OK to me, but agree that the addition of a certificate of authenticity adds little but is thoughtful if they do honour them if a buyer is unhappy.

Ok thanks for the feedback gents. I was a little worried with the Stalingradfront thread! If someone who knows could PM me the market value that would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast