MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic Named German Heer Helmet

Article about: I’m putting together a WW2 Eastern Front display, and I found this half-decent relic lid that’s named and has some damage, (which gets across the point of the display, which is the horro

Default Relic Named German Heer Helmet

I’m putting together a WW2 Eastern Front display, and I found this half-decent relic lid that’s named and has some damage, (which gets across the point of the display, which is the horror in the Eastern Front). There appears to be an extra layer of paint applied, covering the decal. Probably field done since I don’t really see any paint over pitting. Although, I’m not so sure about the name, which is why I’m asking if you guys have any opinions on it.

Thanks a ton for taking a look at my thread, as always, I’m here to learn about this stuff, so I can help other people on this subject later on. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic Named German Heer Helmet
    P
    Many

An interesting relic shell you’ve picked up. Congratulations!

Looks to be an M40 rather than an M35, but with so much corrosion it’s hard to tell. If you flip it over and check the insides, a separate insert for the vent holes will indicate the latter. Hard to tell with the paint as it looks a bit like rust is coming up from underneath and as if the helmet was treated with Oxalic acid which often alters the colour. Higher resolution photos would be more conclusive, but I think the name looks OK, at least from these photos.

Andy

To me the name seems to start with 'La' and an online search shown these only...

Laufenberg, Laufer, Lauffer, Laugel, Laurentius, Laut, Lauter, Lautner, Lautmann, Lautermann, Lauterbach

( but who says it's a German name? ..... it could be any of the anschluss countries )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

Looks like I see the rivets on the inside so an M35 to me.

Agree with Andy, the lighter paint color is do to an acid bath treatment.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the responses!
    Thanks for pointing out the paint being affected by oxalic acid, that's interesting!
    Yeah, the only letters I can make out on the helmet are "L" then "a" and at the end, "k" and "e". Once I have it in hand I'll probably be able to tell better what the letters are. Maybe I could even find out who it might have belonged to.

?

Just my two cents..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic Named German Heer Helmet  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thanks for showing that, Gwar!
    Now that I look at the writing, I agree with you, it probably said "Laushke".

Very nice relic, with what looks to be shrapnel damage? If someone wore that, he definitly did not survive.

Amazing work on recreating the name Gwar!

Plenty of options with the name Lauschke, lots on the VDK site, if you knew where it was found you might have a small chance of guessing the owner. Certainly looks like shrapnel/blast damage rather than small arms fire.

The helmet was found around Lake Ilmen, so that gave me a place to look. I think I found the guy. Paul Laushke, buried in a cemetery at Korostyn, a village on the lake. There's a chance that this isn't the same Laushke, but he likely is. This doesn't excite me or anything, since I'm not a macabre person. To me, it's just interesting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast