Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A "rescue" of a M42 SS relic

Article about: Hi all, Well saddened by the realisation that I will never own a SS lid like MAP, Frank and others, I took my ONLY example off the shelf to commiserate with a cold lager. I had bought this p

Default A "rescue" of a M42 SS relic

Hi all,
    Well saddened by the realisation that I will never own a SS lid like MAP, Frank and others, I took my ONLY example off the shelf to commiserate with a cold lager.
    I had bought this particular helmet shell some 9 years ago from one of our members ( see this thread ) A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid and was shocked to see it had degraded even more over the years on my helmet shelf as the air had continued to oxidise the metal!!

A "rescue" of a M42 SS relicA "rescue" of a M42 SS relic

The decal had darkened and the rust bubbles had increased in number despite the waxy coating Maris had applied 9 years ago - I needed to do something to avoid losing what was left!!

I had used oxalic acid before with good results so after watching someone else on YouTube saving an equally rusted example, I gave it a go.

This is the result, still wet & just removed from 4 hours in a 10:1 solution ( hot water to start with )

and dried off

I then brushed any loose flakes ( not on the decal though ) and gave it another hour bath. The bubbles became craters and neutralised after a quick baking soda wash.
    Here then is the final result with a light spray of acrylic fixative - yes, I know its glossy and darkens the original paint but if left alone, the rust would reactivate for sure! I will dull it down with some dust / chalk like you use with weathering models and that will subdue it a bit more.

A "rescue" of a M42 SS relicA "rescue" of a M42 SS relic

I'm happy with it - and it can go back on the shelf with it's mates for some more years to come!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A "rescue" of a M42 SS relic
    P
    Many

Dan, I’d definitely recommend getting some Renaissance Wax onto it as soon as possible. That should stop and hopefully prevent any further degradation. I’ve used it on a couple of relics and have been very pleased with the results. I can probably post you some in a container if you want.

I love the WW1 helmet in the backgrounders too! Looks a bit like a Bing!

Andy

Thanks Andy! ... I have used this fixative before with good effect. l have also used assorted waxes before with varied degrees of success ( obviously only where surfaces are real rusty like dug medals etc..

As I mentioned, it had been waxed before I got it but it still corroded under the coating....

Cheers, Dan

- - ------- - -

Btw, whats "bing"???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A "rescue" of a M42 SS relic  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Fantastic work Dan, looks great !
    Regards
    Paul

Not a bad result at all, it will stand the test of time now I would think.
    Those bubbles trap moisture, not good.

Nice to preserve these items!

Nothing wrong at all with a relic SS helmet! I'll be regulated to getting a relic like that for starters, lol!

You did a fantastic job and it displays well, and that's what counts right there.

Nice work dan! the helmet looks alot better after the bath and no shame in a nice relic ss lid id be more then happy to have that displayed, were in the same boat lol. ive seen some people melt candle wax over the decal before to protect it and also bring out its colors.

TWS
    ?

Looks like a real improvement Dan. Nice work!
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I think you did a good job Dan and it took a lot of effort. I hate rust as most already know and would encourage everyone to stop it when they get the item. I am not a believer of leave it alone when rust is concerned. It will continue to grow with any type of wax or being left left alone. Wax does not stop it. Storage is not kind to any rust unless you live in the desert; then it does not matter much. Nice work.
    John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast