Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shot up SS Helmet apple green

Article about: Another SS helmet with battle damage

?

Default Shot up SS Helmet apple green

Another SS helmet with battle damage
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shot up SS Helmet apple green   Shot up SS Helmet apple green  

Shot up SS Helmet apple green   Shot up SS Helmet apple green  

Shot up SS Helmet apple green   Shot up SS Helmet apple green  

Shot up SS Helmet apple green  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Shot up SS Helmet apple green
    P
    Many

Very unusual rusting - almost like it was spattered with acid that ate through the metal???

And that vent ...the shell shape looks M42 with a pressed vent but hole looks like it had a really big M35 type rivet that has rusted / fallen out?

Range damage and not battle damaged IMO.
    John

Looks like rust holes from metal corrosion to me.

?

Its an odd helmet, it is not corroded like many of the helmets I have. I certainly could have been shot up as a target during the war. the damage is way more crisp than rusty.

Quote by Eike41 View Post
    Its an odd helmet, it is not corroded like many of the helmets I have. I certainly could have been shot up as a target during the war. the damage is way more crisp than rusty.
    If metal is in direct contact with organic material or in swampy areas near the surface- it can look like that. I would like to think that metal would been deformed from bullet entry inwards and exit outwards?

MAP
    ?

This is one odd bird. Lots of interesting things going on.

Not sure what to think. But nothing looks natural.

On a side note: no way to validate the decal based on these photos. And from what I can see, it would be hard even with close ups
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Looks like the holes have been made or at least cleaned up with some type of small electric dremel especially around the vent lugs. The edges of the shell around the front and rear skirts also appear to have had the same attention. The uniformity of the remaining colour and bleached out appearance make it look like it’s taken a nice long soak in some Oxalic acid. One to avoid IMO.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyM35; 11-17-2023 at 11:25 AM. Reason: *vent lugs!! Lol….My mind is buried too deep in WW1 lids lol….

I with Andy, some doctoring of likely rust holes, can't imagine why they bothered. The result is a freaky restored relic.

The uniformity of some of the holes is a curiosity for sure. From the initial side shots it looks like an M35, but clearly there is no folded rim. Have you had any luck with the name on the inside?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast