Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Small brass solderig in helmet

Article about: I found a helmet with a small brass solder. I don't know why and when the soldering was done, but it seems old. Is there any sensible explanation for this?

Default Small brass solderig in helmet

I found a helmet with a small brass solder. I don't know why and when the soldering was done, but it seems old.
    Is there any sensible explanation for this?

Small brass solderig in helmetSmall brass solderig in helmet
    Small brass solderig in helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Small brass solderig in helmet
    P
    Many

?

That's not brass I think. Did you find or buy this helmet yourself?

MAP
    ?

Any more pictures? The whole helmet, both sides, front and back? And can we see it from the inside?

Is the 3rd photo of the right side of the helmet? Looks like the vent hole was not completely punched out.

Any maker marks on the inside?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I think it's brass. Or what did you think?
    The helmet was given to me. There is no exact information on the history of the helmet.

I’m not sure if i can get more pictures because i gave the helmet away.
    The third image is inside the helmet at the brass solder. There has been no hole in the shell at that point, so there is no brass inside.

M38
    ?

Bullets are brass and I've heard that a bullet that hits a helmet shell but does not penetrate the steel can leave traces of the brass from the bullet. I have no experience of that so this is just a hypothesis for a possible explanation.

Cheers,
    Terry

Bullets aren’t brass they are copper so if a copper projectile would have hit it it would show green/blue of oxidized copper. Also the helmet doesn’t show signs of an impact that a projectile would cause. This is very odd IMO.

?

For me it is a helmet found in the Ukraine. The soil in the Ukraine preserves steel well. Only the swamp finds in Russia are better. Finds in the Ardennes are much worse. It has to do with the ground. This helmet has been cleaned and the pitting has been lubricated with putty. You see that gray color. Dozens of helmets were then found in Cherkassy. And these have entered the western European market. Certain diggers smear them with putty. And now I assume and fill in. But it seems that some diggers have plugged holes in the helmet with a light yellow substance. But I'm not sure. At least it's on those helmets from tjerkassy on both sides. It can also be a rock hard substance that is difficult to remove after 70 years. But I do not think so.

?

Helmet found in Cherkassy.Small brass solderig in helmetSmall brass solderig in helmetSmall brass solderig in helmetSmall brass solderig in helmetSmall brass solderig in helmetSmall brass solderig in helmetSmall brass solderig in helmet

?

You also had people in the past who brought helmets found on the Eastern Front back to their, original state,. That was gruesome to see. I once saw a helmet collection of 300 helmets in Eastern Europe. Which were really spray painted in all colors of the rainbow.(yellow gray orange purple) The owner was proud of it too. Eternal shame all those pieces of history destroyed. Fortunately that doesn't happen anymore ... luckily they have become wiser.

MAP
    ?

No idea what it is but it does appear to be plugged. Why? I have no idea.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast