Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS Decal Check

Article about: Hi All, I am a total noob and prolly wasted my money but figured I'd come get the truth from you guys. I have a stahlhelm which is authentic but the decal I'm not so sure about. Please take

MAP
    ?

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    Every single photo you've taken has been slightly out of focus. You're probably putting the camera too close to the decal. I take photos at a semi-distance, with zoom.
    I would agree with Rusty on this. I think the phone is too close.

Also:

1) take the photo 100% straight on, not at an angle like the last one you posted. Just like the example Rusty showed. Even a slight up/down or left/right photo will seriously make it much more difficult to authenticate a decal. Especially an SS.
    2) Can you in any way make out the maker of the shell? I'm assuming it is an ET.

Photo rotated........

SS Decal Check
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Decal Check
    P
    Many

I can't tell much about the decals themselves. But visually comparing the photos from the helmet- as it was supposedly just "found"- and after as it was sold- i noticed differences on split pins. Am I the only one- or does it seem that on the helmet once it was found they are made from brass and in quite good condition- with no paint left on them, while on the photos showing the helmet after it was bought they seem to have remains of paint. Usually after cleaning there shouldn't be suddenly a paint remains on them? Maybe it there actually 2 different helmets, or maybe I am just wrong?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Decal Check   SS Decal Check  

SS Decal Check   SS Decal Check  

SS Decal Check  

Quote by Oberschutze View Post
    I can't tell much about the decals themselves. But visually comparing the photos from the helmet- as it was supposedly just "found"- and after as it was sold- i noticed differences on split pins. Am I the only one- or does it seem that on the helmet once it was found they are made from brass and in quite good condition- with no paint left on them, while on the photos showing the helmet after it was bought they seem to have remains of paint. Usually after cleaning there shouldn't be suddenly a paint remains on them? Maybe it there actually 2 different helmets, or maybe I am just wrong?
    OMG, man it's exactly the same helmet!

And split pin is an interchangeable thing...

SS Decal Check
    SS Decal Check
    SS Decal Check

Quote by Oberschutze View Post
    SS Decal Check

By the way, you won't believe it, but the same helmet is also in the photo. Here is the cleaning video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSFkHZur3Wk

A little magic, right?

MAP
    ?

Personally. I think it is the same split pin and hasn't been changed. Probably just a lighting issue.

Now calling a split pin an "interchangeable thing" is technically correct but any collector worth his salt will know that an incorrect split pin is a yellow flag for the liner being messed with.

Unless we get a clear photo of this decal. I will be shutting it down soon as there is not much more to discuss. The photos do not provide enough materials for reasonable collectors to form sound opinions on authenticity.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Mathieu1944 View Post
    OMG, man it's exactly the same helmet!

And split pin is an interchangeable thing...

SS Decal Check
    SS Decal Check
    SS Decal Check
    Good for You- my mistake, i wouldn't see the need to change parts on relic condition helmets- but if someone does it- it is fine with me.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Mathieu1944 View Post
    SS Decal Check

By the way, you won't believe it, but the same helmet is also in the photo. Here is the cleaning video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSFkHZur3Wk

A little magic, right?
    The same helmet? The one in the video appears to have a Pocher decal and the OP's helmet has an ET decal. The one in the video is full of holes. The one in the video has no liner. Unless somewhere in the video there is a second helmet that I missed. Can you tell use approx what time it appears in the video as I honestly only quickly scanned it.

Still this video shows no origin of the helmet. Just the cleaning process.

I personally need to judge the helmet and the decal. Not a video, story, etc. as that is all we have at the moment. I do hope for the OP's sake it is all good.

?

I'm on that forum too. And I personally know a number of people who react to this helmet there. I have great respect for their knowledge and skills. Dozens of found ss helmets are discussed there. A lot is still found in Russia. Every time new ones from the ground.And they know what they are talking about. I have several SS helmets in my possession that have been found in the ground. I think that the seller has acted in good faith in this case and thinks this is a good ss helmet.Because this section of the forum discusses the ss helmets that have been found. And after that they are sold very often..but personally I wouldn't buy this helmet. Because there are other convincing examples to be found.с уважением

MAP
    ?

Thanks Daarom.

I'm sure the members on the other forum are fine people and are also honestly trying to assess the helmet.

But the key message we have been trying to convey here is that we just have to judge the helmet as that is all we really have to tangible analyze. And for many of us here, we feel that the photos provided are not sufficient to authenticate the helmet. Basically it all comes down to the decal. And with a decal in this shape, you need to be extra careful.

?

Valid arguments. You are right about this. Wkr

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast