Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stahlhelm M40 SD WH field repaint.

Article about: Hi, Here are some photos of the remains from a german M40 steel helmet, which was found in the positions where in 1944.december - 1945. march was stationed grenadier regiment 502 (290. Infan

Default Stahlhelm M40 SD WH field repaint.

Hi,
    Here are some photos of the remains from a german M40 steel helmet, which was found in the positions where in 1944.december - 1945. march was stationed grenadier regiment 502 (290. Infantry division/ Wehrmacht), with other units. The helmet was laying on its side at the entrance of a collapsed german bunker. The helmet had steel m31 liner band which was attached to the shell with steel split pins, the chinstrap was missing. The most interesting feature was the repaint, since it looks brown. I added extra photos with other german helmet for comparison.
    With best regards,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm M40 SD WH field repaint.   Stahlhelm M40 SD WH field repaint.  

Stahlhelm M40 SD WH field repaint.   Stahlhelm M40 SD WH field repaint.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm M40 SD WH field repaint.
    P
    Many

Nicely preserved helmet. Ill bet that was buried deep.

Quote by Ian Hayes View Post
    Nicely preserved helmet. Ill bet that was buried deep.
    It was at depth over 1,20 meters. The most important thing that the metal had minimal contact with wood or any organic material- which created the small rust hole in front of the helmet.

Ill bet that was some hard work getting those out!

Ill bet that was some hard work getting those out!
    Correct. It is very labor intensive process- most of the time without results, but at the same time it is very exciting- in my experience nothing compares to adrenaline rush when you find the helmet on a WW2 positions, rather then buying one.

I imagine so. Metal detecting here in Pa. is one of my hobbies. When I dig a coin from 1700's I feel a certain way also!

I imagine so. Metal detecting here in Pa. is one of my hobbies. When I dig a coin from 1700's I feel a certain way also!
    Pa- is it the state of the Pennsylvania U.S.? In that case it is probably a valuable find- from the U.S. history perspective? Here unfortunately everything older then 17th century with recent regulations is declared a property of the state/ government. But i guess there are still chances to find ww2 relics- like abandoned training grounds, garrisons or P.O.W. camps?

?

Looks like Paint surface need some bee wax.... it getting very dry and paint will chip off easy.....

Quote by M35DD View Post
    Looks like Paint surface need some bee wax.... it getting very dry and paint will chip off easy.....
    There is no need to worry about the helmet, it has been done allready, it is not the first relic condition helmet i have handled- hopefully not the last. I just didn't find it to be neccessary to make extra photos with the same helmet coated with wax, since to me it was more important to show how the paint and texture looks prior any conservation, that would make it look different.

?

Ok keep up the great work !!!