Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What happened to this one?

Article about: I've been looking at this one for about two weeks now, as I really like it. The first thing I noticed was the good amount of paint left (looks okay to me), and traces of snow camo. It was fo

Default What happened to this one?

What happened to this one?What happened to this one?What happened to this one?

I've been looking at this one for about two weeks now, as I really like it. The first thing I noticed was the good amount of paint left (looks okay to me), and traces of snow camo. It was found in German trench positions near Königsberg, and I have no reason to doubt the story. The one thing I'd like to know is, what the heck happened to the top? My theory is that a Russian soldier used a hatchet or something to render the helmet useless, but I really don't have a clue.

At any rate, I believe I'll get this helmet and remove the majority of rust from it in a restoration project, and leave the hole as is.

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What happened to this one?
    P
    Many

A shrapnel strike from above would be my guess. You have to wonder whether or not some poor sod was wearing it when the damage was incurred!

Regards, B.B.

Not easy to judge but the metal looks very thin on the top so it may be damage due to its fragile condition rather than battle damage

I agree with BlackCat, its hard to say if it is Battel damage, or if whoever digged it out just used his spade to violently. But yeah, looks like a nice helmet for a restoration - or rather preservation project.

This is another one I've taken a liking to, but I know what happened here. This was found in the Demyansk pocket, in an area of heavy shelling. I do not think that if this man was wearing his helmet, he made it out alive. I'm not too good at reading writing like this, can anyone read it?

Quote by RustyRelics View Post

This is another one I've taken a liking to, but I know what happened here. This was found in the Demyansk pocket, in an area of heavy shelling. I do not think that if this man was wearing his helmet, he made it out alive. I'm not too good at reading writing like this, can anyone read it?
    In the case of this helmet i would be fairly confident it just rusted out beneath the earth nothing more, most likely buried dome down where water and moisture can accumulate .

Morris

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    In the case of this helmet i would be fairly confident it just rusted out beneath the earth nothing more, most likely buried dome down where water and moisture can accumulate .

Morris
    Seconded. Battle damage, especially damage caused by shrapnel, tends to manifest itself as sharply defined cracks. In this case the edges are very ragged, as the rust has eaten the metal away gradually over time.

B.B.

Preserve it - DON'T "restore" if that means over-keen cleaning / scrubbing / sanding...... nice helmets ( especially the second one )

Here is my 'Demyansk Pocket' helmet with provenance..... and I love it!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What happened to this one?   What happened to this one?  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I also like the second one, named helmets are always nice, even relics. Stalingradfront has some, rather mixed reviews, but if the contact with the seller seems fine, i would go for it, the bad reviews i personally read where years old.

The Name may be Obj. Steinbeisser? Its old german, and especially the supposed *beisser* is hard to read bc of the Rust.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Preserve it - DON'T "restore" if that means over-keen cleaning / scrubbing / sanding...... nice helmets ( especially the second one )

Here is my 'Demyansk Pocket' helmet with provenance..... and I love it!!!
    Over cleaning is a sin! My grandfather was notorious for over cleaning things. By "restoring", I mean soaking in water for a few days to soften up the rust, then brushing most of the chunks off, and gently tapping with a small hammer to get the smaller bits off. Perhaps an hour long stint in oxalic acid would do it good as well. Then a thin coat of renaissance wax to seal the results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast