MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Why is the helmet liner pin like this? any ideas?

Article about: I noticed the back pin on this helmet looks way different than most other ones, my only ideas are that part of the pin broke off although it seems too rounded/smooth for that or it was a fie

Default Why is the helmet liner pin like this? any ideas?

I noticed the back pin on this helmet looks way different than most other ones, my only ideas are that part of the pin broke off although it seems too rounded/smooth for that or it was a field repair done by a soldier, opinions?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why is the helmet liner pin like this? any ideas?   Why is the helmet liner pin like this? any ideas?  

Why is the helmet liner pin like this? any ideas?   Why is the helmet liner pin like this? any ideas?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why is the helmet liner pin like this? any ideas?
    P
    Many

Can't tell looks like a photo of ground mud! is there a tree growing there?

The head of the pin broke off and started to back out of the hole and it looks like the pin shank just got bent over.

Pins are made in THREE pieces - the 'U' shaped pin ( prior to being bent ) a flat round base with 2 slots in it ( similar to the other washer that slides on the pin legs before they are bent over ) and a shallow domed head. This is swaged in place during manufacture and in a rusted helmet such as yours, it has fallen off exposing the inner "workings".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why is the helmet liner pin like this? any ideas?  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Default Relic Liner Pins

Here's two photos of a relic M42 I received a couple of years ago.
    The liner band was intact but the pins were in a poor state.
    One was missing completely but you can see the other two here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why is the helmet liner pin like this? any ideas?   Why is the helmet liner pin like this? any ideas?  

I agree with what the others have said here that this is an example of the cosmetic "head" or shell of the pin being lost to corrosion etc. It's not that unusual.

However, just a bit of advice for future reference, you would have had this answer immediately if you had posted pictures that put the item in context ie showing the whole helmet so that it didn't look like "mud" or part of a tree.
    Without context the brain is initially confused by what the eye is seeing and defaults to the most similar image it "has on file" and at first identifies it as mud or tree bark for instance

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

MAP
    ?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I agree with what the others have said here that this is an example of the cosmetic "head" or shell of the pin being lost to corrosion etc. It's not that unusual.

However, just a bit of advice for future reference, you would have had this answer immediately if you had posted pictures that put the item in context ie showing the whole helmet so that it didn't look like "mud" or part of a tree.
    Without context the brain is initially confused by what the eye is seeing and defaults to the most similar image it "has on file" and at first identifies it as mud or tree bark for instance

Regards

Mark
    Agree. Please always post photos of the whole helmet.

Take a look here

Posting and Conduct Rules - Steel Helmet Forum

Also I will move this thread to the Relics section of the forum where it belongs.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Gotcha, will do next time! Thanks for the help!