MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Air ministry spoon - Restored to pristine condition

Article about: Hi guys Thought i'd show you my AM spoon, found on an old WW2 airfield (shown in previous post). I don't normally clean stuff i find as i like it in 'relic' condition. BUT....I was so chuffe

Default Air ministry spoon - Restored to pristine condition

Hi guys

Thought i'd show you my AM spoon, found on an old WW2 airfield (shown in previous post).

I don't normally clean stuff i find as i like it in 'relic' condition. BUT....I was so chuffed with this find I decided to see how well it would clean up.

Let's start with how it looked in the beginning. The spoon in question is the one on the left.

I started by soaking it overnight in Hammerite Rust Remover Dip, followed by a drying off and application of standard Brasso.

This got it quite clean as you can see BUT it ended up with 'copper' spots all over it and wasn't to my liking. There was also a lot of pitting of the metal.

So I then took the cleaning a step further by using a Dremmel tool with a buff pad and some everyday grinding paste from the car spares place........the stuff they use to grind pistons and the like Following on from that I then used Brasso again and buffed it to a shine.

As you can see......this got rid of the copper spots and alot of the pitting. I have left it like this as I don't want to 'over' grind it and ruin the relic.

Still.....not a bad result I think

What do you reckon ?

Steve T

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Air ministry spoon - Restored to pristine condition
    P
    Many

Default Re: Air ministry spoon - Restored to pristine condition

Steve,
    Thats a superb restoration and quite time consuming but the results speak for themselves. Well worth the effort.
    LUCKYSTRIKE