Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angle of attack on a helmet that has period paint on it

Article about: My gut says, if it has that much paint on it, leave it. But do you think there is a way to get rid of the rust? This is hypothetical, since I don't actually own any helmets. I just wanted to

Default Angle of attack on a helmet that has period paint on it

Angle of attack on a helmet that has period paint on it

My gut says, if it has that much paint on it, leave it. But do you think there is a way to get rid of the rust? This is hypothetical, since I don't actually own any helmets. I just wanted to see what the responses are going to be.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Angle of attack on a helmet that has period paint on it
    P
    Many

I’d treat the rust that was there, rather than try to remove it.

This can be accomplished using warm water and teabags. Find a container deep enough to immerse the helmet in, fill it with warm water, then dump in a pack of teabags. Give it a stir, then dump the helmet in. Leave it to sit for five or six hours, then fish it out. Either leave it in the sun to dry, or seal it in a container with silica gel packets to draw out the moisture.

It’s a very simple chemical process. The tea contains tannic acid, which reacts with any active rust and neutralises it. The result is an overall darker appearance, but if you dry it properly, no new rust will form. I have used this method on a couple of relic helmets in the past, including one lake-retrieved lid that was very ‘crumbly’. It works surprisingly well to stabilise even far-gone relics.

This isn’t just useful for helmets, either. Any metal item showing signs of active rust can be treated in this way.

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

Without seeing the whole helmet it's a bit hard to tell but often these relics are often treated to an acid bath by the seller.

This one however does not look like it has been treated. Hard to tell.

The acid bath (search the forum) will remove most of the rust. Usually leaved the paint a shade lighter. I like BB's less invasive recommendation better.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I’d treat the rust that was there, rather than try to remove it.

This can be accomplished using warm water and teabags. Find a container deep enough to immerse the helmet in, fill it with warm water, then dump in a pack of teabags. Give it a stir, then dump the helmet in. Leave it to sit for five or six hours, then fish it out. Either leave it in the sun to dry, or seal it in a container with silica gel packets to draw out the moisture.

It’s a very simple chemical process. The tea contains tannic acid, which reacts with any active rust and neutralises it. The result is an overall darker appearance, but if you dry it properly, no new rust will form. I have used this method on a couple of relic helmets in the past, including one lake-retrieved lid that was very ‘crumbly’. It works surprisingly well to stabilise even far-gone relics.

This isn’t just useful for helmets, either. Any metal item showing signs of active rust can be treated in this way.

Regards, B.B.
    I never would have thought of that in a million years, thanks for the tip!

Oxalic acid might be an option too.

Sounds likes a shocking abuse of good Tea BB. I don't suppose you brew it up afterwards?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Sounds likes a shocking abuse of good Tea BB. I don't suppose you brew it up afterwards?
    A bit of rust doesn't hurt the flavour at all. You can really taste the history!

I'm joking, of course... Or am I?

B.B.

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Oxalic acid might be an option too.
    Although you might struggle to find stockists of suitable paper masks to protect delicate lungs against the fine powder during the current climate of mass hysteria...

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Although you might struggle to find stockists of suitable paper masks to protect delicate lungs against the fine powder during the current climate of mass hysteria...
    Good point.

You know, 18,000 people have died of the flu last year entering into this year. Only 3,000 or something like that died of corona virus. Hmm....

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    I never would have thought of that in a million years, thanks for the tip!
    Of course you mean the PG Tip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast