Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Best way to preserve paper items?

Article about: Hello, i was wondering if there is a safe and good way to store your documents, books, wehrpasses etc... I keep my paper items in my glass cabinets freely so to say. They are out of direct s

?

This is a very interesting post on a topic that we are all likely to be concerned with.

Our experienced members gave really great tips on how to preserve documents. It's just great that we even have museum curators in our ranks who can give us advice.

However, I wonder what you are using if you would like to present award certificates open to everyone, like Sensei in his showcase?

I've read that acrylic picture frames are an option. Since the acrylic glass blocks 90% of the UV light and thus protects the documents from fading. However, acrylic glass should not be used for charcoal drawings, pastel work and pencil sketches, as it is often antistatic and can therefore attract pigment particles to the picture glass. But I suspect this doesn't matter with award certificates, as they were printed, then personalized with a typewriter and probably signed with a ballpoint pen or fountain pen. Or am I wrong?

I would be very happy to hear your opinion.

However, if this leads too far away from the actual topic, you can also delete my post.

Best regards
    Wolf

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Best way to preserve paper items?
    P
    Many

Wolf,

Thank you for your contributions to this ongoing discussion.. Another area of interest and not far from the origins of the initial question at all.. Acrylic is a preferred method of presenting documents as you have indicated and it does filter UV and thus preferred by museums.

The display of charcoal, chalk and line drawings does present another area of concern as you have mentioned with the charcoal attracting itself to another surface and "adhering" to that surface. There are anti-static applications that are specific for acrylics and these can be used prior to framing. Most of the charcoal drawings and paper artifacts we have in our museum that used chalk and charcoal are stored in Mylar with buffered tissue paper as a barrier against the drawing and then stored flat in the Mylar. Any pressure or "stacking" of other heavy sleeves on top of the charcoal or chalk drawings could leave a "mirror impression" on either the acid free tissue paper or other buffering material with each drawing/sketch hence.... These are stored separately in their own archival box so as not to put any pressure on the storage sleeve.

The same acrylic anti-static sprays are also used to clean the exterior of the acrylic and will not scratch and is used in lieu of common everyday Windex or similar window and glass cleaner. Windex and other glass cleaners have chemical components that are not conducive to proper museum conservation. Some basic components of Windex for example are dye (what makes it the blue color) and a variety of ethanol's and surfactants.

I would see no issues with award certificates being presented in archival acrylic, as we have Medal of Honor certificates and other types of certificates framed this way, but as with all other types of artifacts we have a strict rotation policy and we rotate these artifacts in a timely manner in order to conserve and preserve them as well as rotate exhibits in order to have some diversity in the museum..

Hope this answers some of the questions..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

?

Hello Smitty,

many thanks for your response. You have helped me a lot.

It is really interesting to hear how such documents are professionally preserved in museums. I think after Christmas I will also get some picture frames with acrylic glass to properly present some of my award certificates.

I wish you and your wife a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Stay safe.

Best regards
    Wolf

Wolf,

Thank you my friend.. Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays to you and your family as well..

Best regards and Blessings, stay safe..

Looking forward to 2021..

Smitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2