MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Cleaning a display case advice

Article about: just picked up four of these display cases that a guy was using for butterflies. What should I clean these out with and what's the best option to line the inside with. Any help is greatly ap

?

Default Cleaning a display case advice

just picked up four of these display cases that a guy was using for butterflies. What should I clean these out with and what's the best option to line the inside with. Any help is greatly appreciatedCleaning a display case advice]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cleaning a display case advice
    P
    Many

It depends on what's caused those stains. Wiping them out with a damp cloth should do the trick, maybe using a little acetone if the staining proves hard to remove. As for what to line them with, I'd go with basic craft felt. I've used it as a backing in most of my display cases for years, and have never had any issues. Black or red cloth makes your items stand out better than they do against a white background.

B.B.

If the display case covers are glass, standard glass cleaner (Windex, etc.) If the cover is acrylic I would recommend a Plexiglass cleaner like Plexiclean.. Same concept as Windex but this Plexiclean is specifically designed for plexiglass and acrylic. There is also an acrylic polish that will remove plexiglass and acrylic scratches..

Depending on what you are going to place in the cases will better determine what to line it with.. Muslin cloth is a good natural buffer for cloth insignia and textiles as well as metal insignia.. It will create a buffer between whatever the case is made of, which looks to be wood and it should protect your artifacts..

Smitty

The white material on the bottom of the showcase I don't think you can clean completely. Maybe you should open your mind to the possibility of replacing it. The organic remains of the dissected butterflies, have probably penetrated and stained the white element irremediably.

Santi

?

Cleaning a display case advice
    So I pulled out the lining and it's really nasty in there.should I worry about covering the sides with acid free board or anything like that?

Just to be safe I would see about replacing the board with a complete new one.. Acid free board, gator board, and then cover it with muslin or something similar..

Smitty

?

I forgot to ask about ventilation for the box. With the lids on they are pretty much air tight. It's it a good idea to have a little bit of ventilation for the items inside?