Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaning a sword blade

Article about: I normally leave my sword blades as found, I wipe them down and apply a light coating of wax to them to keep them from rusting any more. Now I have picked up a blade which have some light ru

?

Default Cleaning a sword blade

I normally leave my sword blades as found, I wipe them down and apply a light coating of wax to them to keep them from rusting any more. Now I have picked up a blade which have some light rust and what I call age spots. Is there any way to clean the blade, with out damaging it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cleaning a sword blade
    P
    Many

Default Re: Cleaning a sword blade

Thise might look like a joke to many ...but human salive ...is very effective against rust!!
    You will have to repeat it several times, because it is not so powerfull as oxalic acid, but thise might be a benefit to many of you or to your collection items !!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi George, you can use a metal polish called "Semi chrome". It is very mildly abrasive. You need to use it sparingly and work with the crossguard of the blade. Then reapply a museum grade wax such as "Renwax".

Cheers, Ade.

?

baking soda and semi chrome will do a great job!

Use EVAPO-RUST (Evapo-Rust Rust Remover Home).

It will remove the rust without harming anything else (paint, plastic, wood, etc.). It's absolutely the best way I've used to remove rust.
    The best yet... you can reuse it over and over.

I've used it on numerous steel & cast iron parts (helmets, bayonets, greade castings, etc.) and never had any regrets!
    Attached Images Attached Images Cleaning a sword blade 

akolans
    ?

Hello.
    For such kinds of finds I usually use electrochemical reaction - Iron+Aluminium in 10% solution of NaOH (alkali). It`not a pleasure to work with alkaline solution, but it is the best way to save the iron without any mechanical influence, I think.

Anton

I have a blade of a Officers Saber M1889 that has seen better times, and that definitly needs a cleanup, especially as its full of red rust, so still active one. What would you recommend for removing rust on that piece?
    Regards,
    Adravor

Cleaning a sword bladeCleaning a sword blade

Quote by Adravor View Post
    I have a blade of a Officers Saber M1889 that has seen better times, and that definitly needs a cleanup, especially as its full of red rust, so still active one. What would you recommend for removing rust on that piece?
    Regards,
    Adravor
    I normally don't get involved in anything this rusty but I would recommend you try either "Evapo-Rust" or "CLR" for this.
    When you see what you have left after that, you can plan your next step.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Mhm, the problem i with that is that it looks to me as the blade has a coating, and for Example Evapo Rust would remove that aswell.
    Still thank you very much for the Opinion!

Cleaning a sword blade

Quote by Adravor View Post
    Mhm, the problem i with that is that it looks to me as the blade has a coating, and for Example Evapo Rust would remove that aswell.
    Still thank you very much for the Opinion!
    I disagree, but you are free to try whatever you wish.
    Maybe try it on the tang first to see what happens?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast