Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Feldblau, or Feldgrau?

Article about: I'm restoring an M40 ET62 helmet, lot number 832. According to German Helmet Vaults lot number database, its closest lot number brethren (830 and 835 if I remember correctly) were single dec

Default Feldblau, or Feldgrau?

I'm restoring an M40 ET62 helmet, lot number 832. According to German Helmet Vaults lot number database, its closest lot number brethren (830 and 835 if I remember correctly) were single decal Luftwaffe helmets. I am going for the 1940-1943 look, by doing a SD LW helmet. I haven't been able to determine if I should do Feldgrau, or Feldblau (Field Gray, or Field Blue). Which is it? And which spray paints are the best for the job, that are located in the United States? I really wanted the textured paints on DD-Day.com, but they do not ship to the U.S.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldblau, or Feldgrau?
    P
    Many

"feldblau" as you called is an incorrect name, the Luftwaffe paint used since 1939 is "RAL 7016 Blaugrau Nr.4" (No. 4) which translates into "blue-gray".
    I don't know which sites in the US to take in that case but from my experience the paint from Dday isn't as good as they lead you to believe anyway.
    It's very very thin (even after 2-3 coats) and comes off easily and IMO everything on their site is overpriced(especially the liners, jeez), their decals are nice tho, apart from the tricolor and the first pattern LW decal (they have very clear modern print edges).
    I personally like the paints from militaerlacke.de and they also give a detailed write-up of the history of the paint in question (especially about dunkelgelb though) the paints are nice and thick when you spray them on but they don't come with texture, though if you wanted to do your LW helmet properly you'd have had to buy two different cans on dday as you'd need textured and not textured paint.
    Not sure if militärlacke ship to the US, though.
    Luis