Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Green spots - Advice Needed

Article about: Hello! I recently picked up this beautiful Estonian Pilot Badge. These green spots however, are bothering me. As it’s the first time I’ve owned a badge with this type of problem I’m lo

?

I am once more in need of advice from some more experienced collectors when it comes to preserving items in sunlight.

So I recently moved into my first apartment and my collection room is not the biggest. Therefore I'd thought it would be for the best to have my RAF Mannequin in the living room. Unlike my collection room, the living room is alot more exposed to sunlight (only indirect).

So I was wondering if indirect does damaged to these types of items? (It's the jacket and helmet im mostly worried about)

Thanks for any answers!

Tobias

Green spots - Advice NeededGreen spots - Advice Needed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Green spots - Advice Needed
    P
    Many

Hi Tobias,
    I keep my whole collection in boxes, protective covers etc...I do this simply so that sunlight doesn't affect it, in any way. I get items out on a regular basis to enjoy on a rotation, depending on my interest. When I was about 11, I had a medal display in my bedroom & all the ribbons were bleached, from there on I kept all my collection away from sunlight, just my advice !
    Paul

If that room window is in North-side, it should be fine.
    It's not like that pilot stands there next 10 years.

I have cloth-badge board with glass on wall, but I placed it behind bookshelf ! so direct sunlight can never reach it.
    I have East-window in collection room, but it stays permanently closed & covered.

Funny thing, I went to search how much UV light can radiate, answer:
    While grass, soil or water reflect less than 10% of incident UV radiation, sand reflects about 15%, and sea foam about 25%, snow can reflect as much as 80% of UV radiation.

?

Thanks for the answers, I use blackout curtains in my collection room and has been using one for the past 2-3 years. They work great. Regarding the mannequin, it's probably for the best that It stays in the room! Thanks again!

And great info about the UV Verikauha

Tobias

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2