Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

How to clean black spots from bayonet blade?

Article about: I havent seen good guides how to deal with antique bayonets. I know people can do very great restorations, But I would hate it if results would became bubba work. I know acid is bad option,

Default How to clean black spots from bayonet blade?

I havent seen good guides how to deal with antique bayonets. I know people can do very great restorations, But I would hate it if results would became bubba work.
    I know acid is bad option, ruins the gloss from the blade. Tested it with valueless knife.

Otherwise scabbard and handle is covered very "evenly" by rust all over it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to clean black spots from bayonet blade?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I have been told Simichrome is good. Never tried it myself.

Best to hear from others that have used it for advice on how to apply and what it can achieve.

https://simichrome.premiumstore.com/...caAjqWEALw_wcB
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

IMO, you will never be able to remove all of the discoloration.
    Unless you re-profile the blade, there will always remain some greying where the rust is.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I have been told Simichrome is good. Never tried it myself.

Best to hear from others that have used it for advice.

https://simichrome.premiumstore.com/...caAjqWEALw_wcB
    Simi-chrome is good, it is a fine polish, and is supposed to leave a protective layer after.
    Autosol is also a good alternative, you can protect with Ren-Wax after.
    I used both, but my go to is Autosol.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I have used Autosol myself. It's agood product, but does remove a fine layer from the original surface if overused

Sometimes it's just too far gone, but there is nothing wrong with blades with character!

Many perfectly good Knifes (and other things) have been ruined by overzealous restoration work. Choose you path carefully

Looking at the overall bayonet and scabbard I would leave it as is. In the antique world "restoration" has gone out of favour and "patina" is in. Avoid some of the acid bleaching that some dealers seem to feel is necessary to boost the sale price. I would think over cleaned bayonets will be discounted by the market in the future.

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    I have used Autosol myself. It's agood product, but does remove a fine layer from the original surface if overused
    Bugger! I read Anusol then and nearly wet my self! I must get an eye check ASAP!