Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How to treat Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leather

Article about: Hello All, I have this 1911 magazine pouch that I had for years just sitting on my display cabinet, But since I have a WW2 officer Sam Brown type belt coming, I thought WOW I can put this ma

?

Default How to treat Copper Stearate / Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leather

Hello All,
    I have this 1911 magazine pouch that I had for years just sitting on my display cabinet, But since I have a WW2 officer Sam Brown type belt coming, I thought WOW I can put this mag pouch on that belt, But when looking closer I noticed the verdigris on the brass and copper fitting's, The problem that I noticed was that when I inserted another belt into the belt loop it came out green, This is of course because of the front pouch snap is mounted through the back inside behind the belt loop.

Is there a way to treat this?

CLICK TO ENLARGE.
    Here are some pic's of the 1922 Mag pouch.
    How to treat Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leatherHow to treat Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leatherHow to treat Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leatherHow to treat Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leather
    I have since started to remove the visible outer verdigris with a wooded tooth pick and cloth, But need to know what to do about the stuff behind the leather belt loop.
    Thanks for looking or any suggestions.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 11-24-2019 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Terminology correction

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to treat Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leather
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Hello All,
    I have this 1911 magazine pouch that I had for years just sitting on my display cabinet, But since I have a WW2 officer Sam Brown type belt coming, I thought WOW I can put this mag pouch on that belt, But when looking closer I noticed the verdigris on the brass and copper fitting's, The problem that I noticed was that when I inserted another belt into the belt loop it came out green, This is of course because of the front pouch snap is mounted through the back inside behind the belt loop.

Is there a way to treat this?

CLICK TO ENLARGE.
    Here are some pic's of the 1922 Mag pouch.
    How to treat Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leatherHow to treat Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leatherHow to treat Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leatherHow to treat Verdigris on US 1911 magizine pouch leather
    I have since started to remove the visible outer verdigris with a wooded tooth pick and cloth, But need to know what to do about the stuff behind the leather belt loop.
    Thanks for looking or any suggestions.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I've always used toothpicks and Q-Tips. So maybe sticking a (many) Q-Tip in there will remove most of the softer residue.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks Michael,
    I would have LIKED that post. LOL!!!
    Is there a type of cleaner/ preventive that is on the market that you know of?

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Thanks Michael,
    I would have LIKED that post. LOL!!!
    Is there a type of cleaner/ preventive that is on the market that you know of?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    "Like" (remember we used to do that a few years ago) LOL

I've never tried anything but heard that the 'ol standby "vinegar" works.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Phil,

The proper name of this is Copper Stearate and the "verdigris" is the green pigment color which occurs from the chemical reaction or copper acetate.

The waxy buildup is common with brass and the dyes in leathers which cause this reaction and "verdigris".. Can it be stopped: NO,, Can it be cleaned: YES but it will keep coming back and this is one of the things that collectors need to be aware of when they have leather and metal that are together and the risks of having them on uniforms (Such as a leather belt and metal loops for a dagger hangar being displayed with an SA shirt or the like).. Careful examination and cleaning periodically will help prevent irreversible staining and damage to cloth and other materials that the verdigris comes in contact with...

Cleaning: Use wood tipped Q-tips to clean the small surface areas around the rivets and in some cases you can use the wood end of the Q-tip to get into the nooks and cranny's,, but use caution as this method can scratch and damage the leather.. You can use warm soap and water mixture or mineral spirits to clean the area but use caution when using the mineral spirits... (It is best to use the warm soap and water)..

Here is a link to a National Park Service Book for museums and some of the conservation and preservation methods for the various types of museum artifacts, cloths, wood, metals, etc...

Keep in mind that any conservation that you do on your items will help to preserve them for a long time.. Observing your collection for such issues such as verdigris, silverfish, moths, zinc pest etc.. and knowing the proper conservation methods and techniques will ensure your artifacts will be around for a long time...

Museum Handbook: Museum collections - United States. National Park Service - Google Books

Smitty

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    "Like" (remember we used to do that a few years ago) LOL

I've never tried anything but heard that the 'ol standby "vinegar" works.
    LOL ! yes I do. it became a running joke!!! So here ya go!Like and Thank!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

LIKE and Thank to you Smitty!
    I was hoping you would chime in. With your position at the museum I knew you would have professional experience with this.
    Thank you for the information and the link.
    I'll take a look at that and save it to my Fav's.

I wanted to put this on that belt I just won, Now I am reconsidering doing it, I do not want to stain it by putting this mag pouch on it.
    Also thank you for the lesson on the proper name of this. I didn't know it was called Copper Stearate. I always heard of it called Verdigri, But when you look up Verdigri it referrers to it as the color like you stated. Your Awesome!!!!
    I'm glad I can still give thumbs up!!LOL
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil, (Like and Thank you to you Too)…..

No worries and you can still place the pouch with the belt.. If you put a barrier between the back of the pouch and the belt itself then you should not have any issues.. Just keep in mind that every so often you will need to check if the copper stearate comes back.. After a good cleaning and a good temperate environment the verdigris will take some time to redevelop..

I would look into some 100% cotton muslin cloth or plastic Mylar to place between the pouch and belt. This will act as a barrier and capture anything that you don't wont contaminating or possibly staining textiles ect..

Here is another info gram from the National Park Service that discusses muslin and Mylar and their uses as barrier materials and conservation techniques...

https://library.du.edu/media/documen...icsfabrics.pdf

Both of these materials can be purchased through high end hobby stores such as Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Anna's Linens... They are reasonably priced and many folks I know use the materials from these stores due to the prices...

If you want the museum professional grade muslin and Mylar then Gaylord Archival and University Products and Talas.. then the price will be much higher since they are major suppliers to a lot of the museums around the world (and their prices are rather high) (links below)…

Either way.. you can still display your artifacts and collectibles without fear after placing the barriers.....

University Products - Thinking in and out of the box since 1968.

Gaylord Archival | Archival Supplies, Exhibit & Display Cases

Bookbinding Materials & Archival Supplies for Conservation | TALAS

Smitty

I use Q tips and acetone along with wooden tooth pics to remove the stuff. I have used ziplock bags cut apart for a barrier between items to help slow down the reactions.
    John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 11-24-2019 at 10:52 AM.

?

Thank you gent's for your assistance and your idea's.

Smitty thank you for the references. I'll get busy and start reading those.

I just got the belt in today and it has a thick coating of Copper Stearate on the back of the buckle and also on every brass part that is in contact with the leather. I'm going to take it to work tomorrow and see if I can treat/remove this stuff.
    You advice and treatment is perfect timing. I will go slow and make sure I don't damage these items.

Have any of you used the product "GOOF OFF"?
    I have used it on other problems but not copper Stearate. It contains Acetone and Xylene???

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast