Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intro and Trench Art Lamp Mortar/Bomb?

Article about: Hey guys. My name's Scott. My great grandfather served in WWII and sent/brought back several pieces of pretty cool trench art. I loved it growing up, and have been fortunate to start my own

Default Intro and Trench Art Lamp Mortar/Bomb?

Hey guys. My name's Scott. My great grandfather served in WWII and sent/brought back several pieces of pretty cool trench art. I loved it growing up, and have been fortunate to start my own collection. I got ahold of a trench art lamp that was in real rough shape. The original pieces were there but it needed to be rewired and it was broken off its base.

I am in the process of repairing it, but I want to stay as true to the original piece as possible while adding the appropriate touches to make it really nice and unique.

I'm hoping you guys could tell me what kind of munitions this is. I'm thinking its a mortar round, but I could be wrong. I saw something saying it might be an inert practice smoke bomb.

If anyone knows, I'd love to know who may have used this in training. I'm wanting to use some appropriate patches/insignias of the units that may have used it to complete the lamp.

Here are some pictures of my restoration of the lamp. I kept the original base, bomb/mortar, and the original socket. I changed the cord and plug with new ones of the same style (fabric wrapped wire and bakelite plug). I also reinforced the mortar/bomb with a pvc pipe sunk into the base. That was its downfall in design originally (it had no real support to keep it attached to the base.

Pics:

Original pieces

The new reinforcement

I distressed and stained the base to fit the piece

plug and cord

Almost finished. Just need to figure out the shade and final details as stated previously.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Intro and Trench Art Lamp Mortar/Bomb?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Intro and Trench Art Lamp Mortar/Bomb?

I just realizes this is probably best in the restoration section. If a mod could move it, i would appreciate it

Moved and welcome to the forum!

Nice work.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Lovely trench art , I restored a 75mm round that had been turned into a lamp a couple of years back, I can put a picture up if you want it.
    Also: Welcome to the forum.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Thanks for the move Adrian, and thanks for the compliment Collector! I'd love to see a picture of the lamp. Any idea if that is a smoke bomb or mortar?

its an american 3lb AN Mk 23 practice bomb,would have contained a small charge to give a flash and puff of smoke to indicate where it had landed

Quote by spotter View Post
    its an american 3lb AN Mk 23 practice bomb,would have contained a small charge to give a flash and puff of smoke to indicate where it had landed
    Spotter: Thanks for the reply. From reading more on the Mk 23 it seems to be a naval training aid. Is this something that someone in a Navy bombing squadron would have used? Thanks!

thats something i honestly cant answer ,as i dont know ,,hopefully one of the other forum members will be able to give you more info
    regards
    allan

Here is the lamp: Enjoy. cool miltaria

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

That is neat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast