MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Restored

Article about: Hello folks. This rifle was one of the first things I posted on this forum, all the way back in dim and distant 2017. After posting it, it was made clear that this particular K98 was a mishm

Default K98 Restored

Hello folks.

This rifle was one of the first things I posted on this forum, all the way back in dim and distant 2017. After posting it, it was made clear that this particular K98 was a mishmash of original and postwar Yugoslavian parts. A couple of weeks ago, I finally made the decision to rectify that.

While the receiver, rear sight and barrel are original German, the barrel bands, trigger guard and stock were all postwar Yugo parts. The bolt is also Yugo, but given the nature of deactivation, I am unable to replace it. As of now, it is the only part of the rifle that has been left unrestored.

Here is how the rifle looked prior to the restoration effort:

K98 Restored

And here is how she looks now:

K98 Restored

I was lucky, in that I was able to locate a stock that partially matches the Erma receiver. The barrel bands and butt plate are marked 'WaA280', as is correct for the receiver. I am aware that a cupped butt plate would be correct for an 'AX 41' code rifle, but I prefer the look of the flat version. The other WaffenAmt markings on the stock to include the disc and crossbolt are unfortunately mismatched...

K98 RestoredK98 Restored

The stock came from Norwegian storage, where many K98 rifles were reissued postwar. There are some very faint white stenciled numbers on the butt, but it retains its original colour (no horrible Russian shellac) and WaffenAmt markings, although they are very faint...

K98 Restored

The handguard and floor plate are matching, but unfortunately do not match with the receiver. Still, they presented themselves at the right time and for the right price, and are far better than the Yugo guard that was fitted previously...

K98 Restored

And finally, a shot of the 'new-old girl' next to the stock it was originally fitted with. The visual difference is rather subtle, but the rifle looks so much better for it. Even if it cannot shoot, it has now gone from a piece I was unhappy with to a rifle I am very pleased to own.

K98 Restored

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Restored
    P
    Many