Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

The Leather Straps?

Article about: These are straps from the 18 L trinkwasser cannister and the leather is in poor shape. Should I clean them or should I leave them alone? They are in danger of splitting and would a clean up

Default The Leather Straps?

These are straps from the 18 L trinkwasser cannister and the leather is in poor shape.

Should I clean them or should I leave them alone?

They are in danger of splitting and would a clean up with a leather restorer/conditioner do them some good?

I'm all ears
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Leather Straps?   The Leather Straps?  

The Leather Straps?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Leather Straps?
    P
    Many

Hello, I would apply a leather restorer, very gently. I have a chinstrap from an M1 helmet from the Second World War that came to me in poor condition and I have gotten a lot of improvement in it. Hit it with the conditioner from time to time and little by little you will see how the leather improves. Shop Amazon for Repanur Leather Balsam, which comes with a sponge to apply it. Cleans and nourishes and restores at the same time. It is a good choice. It worked for me and I give the leather pieces every so often to keep them in good condition. Good luck and regards.

?

I use these two... both work well for me, but it does depend on how far gone the leather is. It will never return to strong and flexible, but the best you can hope for is to arrest its decay. Anything more is a bonus.
    The straps are certainly worth the attempt to rescue, due to rarity, but will always need kid-glove handling. Juan’s advice, ref repeated application, is spot on.
    Best of luck.
    Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Leather Straps?  

Cheers my friends, I've been told to leave them alone by some and told to treat them by others..

I've bought some leather stuff and might give them a going over?

?

Perhaps Renaissance wax to preserve what is left?
    The state of the grey painted steel furniture speaks to a rare item with preservation as the only option.
    Rejuvenation left town long before you bought the straps.
    Thanks for showing your Trinkwasser and your fine harness.

?

I am very much of the opinion that if the leather is generally sound, leave it alone and store it in a stable atmosphere (the best preservative), with regular checkups.
    If, however, it has not been well cared for over the years, then a little treatment may be required to stabilise it (followed by that stable atmosphere, of course).
    If it ain’t broke... &c.

"However, if it has not been well cared for over the years, then a little treatment may be required to stabilise it.."

I think this applies to us all...

It's indoors now, so I might put some wax on the straps and see what it does..

Thanks for the replies my friends

If I hadn't treated the chinstrap of the M1 helmet with leather cream, it would be cracked all over today. If the leather is fine, it also helps to preserve it in good condition. It is good to try it before in some less visible part to see the result. I gave Renaissance Wax to leather knife sheaths, the result was good. All the best.