Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe tropical tunic, need help.

Article about: I have had this tunic for many years and I would like to restore to how it should have looked. It had been stripped of many of it's parts, including most annoyingly the breast pocket flaps.

Default Luftwaffe tropical tunic, need help.

I have had this tunic for many years and I would like to restore to how it should have looked. It had been stripped of many of it's parts, including most annoyingly the breast pocket flaps. Some of the buttons, with S clips and the shoulder straps came with it, the buttons were in one of the pockets, but I doubt any of these are original to it.

The biggest problem is the missing breast pocket flaps, which is where I need help, if anyone has some or has a really badly mothed tunic or has some of the correct fabric I would be keen to buy it.

I have an original eagle to go on it, but have used a copy eagle and some temporary replacement pocket flaps I made for now.

An original set of tan buttons would also be good if I can find some.

I will also need to do a better job of restoring the SB attachment loops.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe tropical tunic, need help.  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe tropical tunic, need help.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe tropical tunic, need help.

Why would someone remove the TOP pocket flaps - and only them??????

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Why would someone remove the TOP pocket flaps - and only them??????
    A question I have asked many times and I don't know the answer. I have seen strange things done to Luft trop tunics, including shortened versions, also I think they sometimes sewed the lower pocket flaps down.

This example has been tailored, with the rear flap sewn together, which I think was fairly commonly done and also it has had an internal waist adjuster inserted, again to making it a better fit and to make it look smarter.

The Luft were, like the RAF, the glamour boys!

It also has its owners name on a tag inside it and has it's makers mark and size stamps surviving, though the depot/date stamp is not visible, but the latter is common on Luft trop tunics to be missing, though why I am not sure.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe tropical tunic, need help.   Luftwaffe tropical tunic, need help.  

Luftwaffe tropical tunic, need help.   Luftwaffe tropical tunic, need help.  

Luftwaffe tropical tunic, need help.  
    Regards,

Jerry

Just a thought then Jerry - if the Lufty wallahs removed the flaps for looks ( or maybe they were never there? ), doesn't that make it a period modification? - and, if so, wouldn't it be best to leave as is - just put the eagle back on?

Dan

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Just a thought then Jerry - if the Lufty wallahs removed the flaps for looks ( or maybe they were never there? ), doesn't that make it a period modification? - and, if so, wouldn't it be best to leave as is - just put the eagle back on?

Dan
    I think the flaps were removed post war, but unlike adding something, it is mostly impossible to say when something was removed. If it had been the lower pocket flaps, that I could believe was done war time, but I have never seen a tunic with the upper pocket flaps removed.

My thought was that the flaps were removed post war or in a POW camp, along with the eagle and the SB attachment strips, to allow it to be worn, though it still leaves me wondering why only remove the upper pocket flaps.

It is possible they were removed to be used to restore a "better" tunic, though this is only speculation.
    Regards,

Jerry

I think you should fully restore it and display it for what it is. Maybe Ivan tore his uniform apart after the war, when they probably stacked these up like the flags.

?

Still a nice tunic.

Regards, Lars