Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Helmet

Article about: Hello I’m looking for a project (like I need another...), I’ve acquired a solid M1 shell. It’s a rear seam with clasps holding the chinstrap on. Someone has repainted it and really did a sor

Default M1 Helmet

Hello I’m looking for a project (like I need another...),

I’ve acquired a solid M1 shell. It’s a rear seam with clasps holding the chinstrap on. Someone has repainted it and really did a sorry job. They used a brush, so the entire helmet inside and out is covered in brush marks. It appears it was repainted to look WWII era. For $10 couldn’t pass it up. I know it’s a Vietnam era helmet because when I was trying to read the numbers stamped into the brow, I found a guy’s last name and service number (barely legible) with a letter prefix (Conscripted Enlisted Personnel). Where I am getting at is should I repaint the helmet? It’s not original the way it is and the layers of paint are thick. Recorking methods with sand? What paint (preferably a Rustoleum or Krylon)? Clear coat? Would I be better off with a spray gun to attach to my compressor? I’m pretty wide open when it comes to restoring this helmet as I have almost any metal working and abrasive tool there is.

Please note: I am US based so I need items obtainable from Lowe’s or Home Depot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet   M1 Helmet  

M1 Helmet   M1 Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1 Helmet
    P
    Many

Good luck with this, here is a thread of one i did you may find it helpful
    M1 Schuleter refurb

Never read that there is a SN with "Conscripted Enlisted Personnel" it never happened!!! whack on a ERDL or a Mitchell cover on it and then you are all good?

Thanks for the help so far. I’m looking for a shade of green matching Vietnam era helmets. Should I sand the paint off or apply a paint stripper?

?

I am one of those "don't destroy history to fix history" type collectors myself, I would do what Rene suggested, find a nice cheap frogskin mosquito net and call it done but it is your helmet not mine.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Never read that there is a SN with "Conscripted Enlisted Personnel" it never happened!!! whack on a ERDL or a Mitchell cover on it and then you are all good?
    I agree and would not repaint. The markings confuse me a little if the shell has been recently repainted inside and out to 'look' a certain era, they would have no meaning? Again I agree with Rene, just find a nice period cover and liner to finish. I can tell you from experience it is much more difficult than it seems to refurb these correctly.

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. Y'all are right. If I get a cover and liner, it won't even be noticed.

Just to clarify the writing inside the shell. The writing IS original to the helmet. I uncovered it after trying to rub away the unoriginal paint with nail polish remover. It says "Mitchell US55323749."
    Rene, here is where I found the letter prefixes for Vietnam service numbers.

Service number (United States Army) - Wikipedia

Quote by DDRCollector View Post
    Just to clarify the writing inside the shell. The writing IS original to the helmet. I uncovered it after trying to rub away the unoriginal paint with nail polish remover. It says "Mitchell US55323749."
    Rene, here is where I found the letter prefixes for Vietnam service numbers.

Service number (United States Army) - Wikipedia
    ok I thought it was abbreviated as "CEP" I was working off this book. Sorry
    Last edited by reneblacky; 07-08-2018 at 03:09 AM. Reason: added pic

Sorry, I should've been a little more clear in my description. Thanks for the book suggestion. I checked it out on Amazon and looks like a good book. I'll have to get me a copy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast