Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project

Article about: Trying to save this relic for posterity. More like a test really but let´s see how it turns out. I will send pictures and regular updates after the professional conservation process gets und

Jan
    ?

The helmet is in the mail.

Best, Jan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

Default Day one of conserving the Fallschirmjägerhelm

Day one. Soft mechanical cleaning and careful removal of the larger soil accumulations and rust areas.

The helmet is in better condition than I originally thought. Seems like there are a few areas were the original paint still remains intact.

At least this one is original and I´m not counting the hours in preserving it (and documenting the progress) .

Next week the work will be continued by a talented conservation student.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project   M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project   M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

Jan
    ?

Discarded dentist tools are good in removing larger rust lumps. Just be careful not to damage potential uncorroded surfaces underneath. Often only a very light touch of the tool will make surface rust flake off like removing old wallpaper. Take your time.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

Jan
    ?

The interior of the helmet before conservation. This will be very challenging indeed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project   M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

Jan
    ?

All of the liner rivets are in place but I have a feeling that conserving them will be a challenge. Thumbs up

Thanks for watching, please comment if you have any advice or ideas!

Best, Jan

Hello Jan,

The helmet is coming along nicely. Looks like fascinating work.

Thank you for posting the progress.

Andrew

Jan
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Hello Jan,

The helmet is coming along nicely. Looks like fascinating work.

Thank you for posting the progress.

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew, let´s see how this one turns out. I´m just trying to encourage people to take care of these fragile relics and forward information how much work is required to do this.

The rusting process can´t be stopped but the process can be slowed down. Ultimately many of these items are better off in the ground so please don´t dig them if you don´t have the means or the knowledge to preserve them.

Work in co-operation with a local war museum or professional conflict archaelogists.

Best, Jan

Thanks you for the reply Jan.

Regarding the retardation of rust on historical objects - what are your thoughts on Renaissance Wax? I have used this a little bit on rusted items but would never use it on a nice original piece.

I received a book in the mail yesterday called “Digging the Trenches: the Achaeology of the Western Front” by Andrew Robertshaw and David Kenyon. I think it is a book you would really appreciate.

Jan
    ?

It is not recommended. There are a lot of difficulties in reversing the effects of this treatment in case of a need for a new conservation. After doing all that is possible to get rid of all of the rust it is advisable to use liquid parafine or some other organic substance to slow down the oxidation of the item.

More info here soon on how to treat these kind of relics and what to look ut for (not to cause more damage)

Best, Jan

Thank you for the response Jan.

I look forward to your posts

Andrew

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast