Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project

Article about: Trying to save this relic for posterity. More like a test really but let´s see how it turns out. I will send pictures and regular updates after the professional conservation process gets und

Jan
    ?

Patience is the word. The helmet is now in for Alkaline Sulfite Desalination in a heat- (or steam) cabinet and will remain so for several weeks.

Before desalination the helmet was first x-rayed and cleaned manually. The "Kinnreimen" will be put in a moisture chamber before being straightened out.

I will have pictures of both in a couple of days. And in two weeks time a preview of the helmet when they change the liquid in the container were it now rests.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

The helmet is now inside this metal container, the lid has been sealed to the container with tape and a weight has been added to make the container 100% tight. The temperaturein the cabinet is 50°C which shortens the process considerably.

The whole process is done to remove chlorides that have penetrated the steel and chrystallized. After the treatment the metal is stabilized.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

Jan
    ?

Parts of the chinstrap belonging to the helmet were also found. They are mechanically cleaned. After cleaning the leather parts are placed in a steam chamber in order to moisten the leather before the parts are straightened out.

A decanter glass filled with water is placed in the plastic box along with a device that measures changes in moisture and temperature.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project   M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

Jan
    ?

First find! During cleaning traces of a paper tag were found on the inside of one of the straps!

Awaiting the great reveal with interest.

Thanks for posting progress Jan! It’s all very fascinating.

I'm really looking forward to the end result.. fascinating!

I put my Panzer headlight through the electrolysis process and it did strenghten the metal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project   M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project   M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

Jan
    ?

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the end result.. fascinating!

I put my Panzer headlight through the electrolysis process and it did strenghten the metal.
    Thanks for sharing this. Seems you did very well

Best, Jan

Here it is now..

M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project   M38 FALLSCHIRMJÄGERHELM rescue project  

Very nice work so far, since I've heard the name History Secrets, I decided to opt into the conversation, I personally am a friend of Nick (History Secrets), and , as far as I know he still has the helmets(including the FJs), at least last time I saw them they were scattered around his room, I'm guessing the M38 came from another dump, as there were lots of these sorts of dumps all over Europe.
    For all I know he hasn't found any chin strap remains either, as most of his M38s he recovered had battle damage and thus probably no liner.
    He is not in any direct contact with araeologists for all I know, as in the Netherlands you don't need a permit.
    I personally work together with some archaeologists from time to time and detect areas for them, I might study archaeology too, and in NRW (in West Germany) you need a permit to even metal detect on fields and anything sort of important gets reported to them.
    But as I already said, in the Netherlands there is no such thing, so I would guess that this specific M38 came from somewhere else.
    Keep up the good work
    Luis

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast