MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M40 helmet restoration

Article about: I’ve had this helmet for some time, it was a “restored” relic and I got it for practically nothing so I finally started mid last week at it stripping it down and redoing all the bondo

Default M40 helmet restoration

M40 helmet restorationM40 helmet restorationM40 helmet restorationM40 helmet restorationM40 helmet restorationM40 helmet restorationM40 helmet restorationM40 helmet restorationI’ve had this helmet for some time, it was a “restored” relic and I got it for practically nothing so I finally started mid last week at it stripping it down and redoing all the bondo again, the interior was difficult and time consuming trying to get all the contours and the rolled lip built back up. Unfortunately the air vent holes aren’t very protruding as they rusted away.

The texture is a bit more coarse then I wanted but I’m happy with it, I took pictures through its progress, I still need the decal, liner and chinstrap to complete it, not sure if I should install an original liner or just put in a reproduction which I think will be just fine. I will take more pictures when it’s 100% complete.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 helmet restoration
    P
    Many

Here’s the finished product, about as close as I’ll come to a complete SS helmet lol, I’m very happy with the decal quality!

M40 helmet restorationM40 helmet restorationM40 helmet restoration

great restoration !

You just know that this will attract some "comments" about it not really being a restoration, but that would be as close as I could come to an original too...... so, good onya for the effort!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I think as long as you are happy with it then this is fine. I can aspire to own as SS helm in this condition but I doubt one will come along. Will you keep a note with it documenting what it actually is?

The helmet was supposedly found in Germany, as for its original origins I’m not sure there was no decal so it really could of been anything but most likely just a Wehrmacht, as for the future I would never claim this to be authentic.