Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M40 reissue helmet ... what use ?

Article about: I just received an M40, Q64 shell, #6391. Was sold as Czech reissue, painted black and later repainted field grey, with Czech liner. After receiving and examining it, I find it in fact has a

?

Default M40 reissue helmet ... what use ?

I just received an M40, Q64 shell, #6391. Was sold as Czech reissue, painted black and later repainted field grey, with Czech liner. After receiving and examining it, I find it in fact has a Polish Wz50 liner (exact match for my Wz50 except straps are black, not natural).
    Stamped on the underside of the liner: "OZNAN" ('P' in Poznan went off the edge) 481, 20 CZERW 1975, and a bit more not decipherable because it's stamped over the vent holes in the leather.
    My question: for what purpose would an M40 be reworked in Poland in the 1970's ? Any guesses?
    Amendment: The leather and straps are Wz50 style, but not mounted on the same framework. In this case it's just a metal band mounted using the three original split pin holes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 reissue helmet ... what use ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: M40 reissue helmet ... what use ?

Eastern Block countries used everything that they could get there hands on after the war, probably civil use.
    Morris

?

Thanks Morris ... I felt the 1970's period was late for them to be using Third Reich helmets, but maybe not.

It is possible that a person could have tried to restore it back then. Here is an example of re-reissue. The photo states 1950-51 German police

M40 reissue helmet ... what use ?

?

Yes, for some reason it was painted back to a WWII type color. When I contacted the seller he said because he'd thought it was a Czech liner, maybe it had been refurbished for use as a movie prop. Color layers are grey-black-grey; doesn't look like it was stripped and painted, unless the bottom layer would have been primer applied when the black was done.
    I'd like to know what it is because I purchased it with the intent of doing a reenactor type restoration to WWII appearance, but now not sure I want to mess it up.

?

Skip please post photos.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...photos-254259/

I have also moved the thread to the Resorations section.